cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Power Ethernet adapter does not work with Gfast?

Go to solution

Been having issues with my connection for months and now been told by an Openreach engineer that the power line adapter I have from my workplace,to ensure I can work from home, does not play nicely with Gfast 250 connection or even the 150! It’s not the specific adapter but any using Gfast.

anybody had a similar issue and any resolution other than running a cat 8 cable through the house while at home?

Another issue arose - all my Ethernet connections are now showing as 5ghz connections on my Hub Manager status report. I’ve reset and still have the issue - an6 thoughts

regards

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Power Ethernet adapter does not work with Gfast?

Go to solution

Sounds a bit dubious to me, did he say why?

Powerline adapters can cause interference with the DSL or G.Fast signal but not always.

You certainly don't need a Cat 8 cable, Cat 5E will be more than adequate.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Gfast has now bearing on the router side of your connection UNLESS the engineer meant the powerline adaptors could not handle the speed.

Cat 5e cable is fine for home networks.

If your devices are happy connecting via 5g wifi leave them be.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

He (a senior Openreach engineer) was not too forthcoming why he said it.

I’ve had upwards of 6 different engineers in my home over the last year who have looked at my internal wiring and this is the first time any of them ( some with multiple visits) have raised this!

I think it’s because they cannot stabilise my service- regular drop outs and going down after midnight to approx 3am during the week when I’m trying to speak to family overseas.

Today it’s suggested I drop from gfast 250 to 150 to see if the line will stabilise. The engineers also saying that I’m 245 or 310m from the green box - they contradict each other.

So basically BT missold me a service for £10 ( at least ) per month, for over a year, that my line can’t handle?

no offer of recompense or compensation forthcoming

regards

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

If the line is dropping at a regular time it sounds like there is a device somehow - in your house or elsewhere that is producing interference 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

He was not too clear on why he said that

it might be the speed  - 256 then 25 then 100 then back to 256 before drop off.

I will give him a text to find out

regarding the items incorrectly showing as 5ghz - they are wired directly from the hub with cat 6  cable with the Wi-Fi connection switched off in both ( they both report as connected to Ethernet on their respective status screens)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

The hub device list is notoriously rubbish.