cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Problem with Internet Connection

Go to solution

I have a very frustrating issue with my internet connection.

I have the black heavy duty BT cable coming into the house from the telephone pole. That is extended using proper heavy duty black extension cable (with the wire stiffeners in it) by about 3 meters to the BT master socket 5C on the wall.

The connection between the actual BT cable and the extension cable is via 2 gel crimps in a sealed junction box.

I had this setup running perfectly for about 3 weeks and was getting ping response times of about 10ms with no drops at all, then for no reason (nothing has changed) the internet connection started being really laggy, when I checked the ping response times they were dropping frequently and generally running at between 300 and 600ms.

What I have done to try and resolve this is change the gel crimps for better quality ones and replace the master socket with a new one. It hasn’t helped, if anything the connection is worse now.

I am guessing that the 2 cores in the BT cable are very sensitive and anything other than a perfect join is going to introduce noise to the line which will affect the connection. Am I right in my assumption? Is there anyway I can test the signal strength at the master socket to see if the problem is in the junction box or somehow where the 2 cores are crimped in the snap lock thing in the master socket. While I am writing this I have the constant ping test running and the response times have gone back to about 30ms with no drops but I know that next time I look at it the response times will be back to 600ms again. There just doesn’t seem to be any logic I can see to this.

I really hope someone out there can point me in the right direction to try and fix this as I don’t really want to spend £200 getting a BT engineer out to look at it…

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Problem with Internet Connection

Go to solution

Do you have a home phone not digital voice? If so try dialing 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with a corded phone

Can you post stats from hub - hub manager/advanced settings/ technical logs information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi - sorry I dont have a phone that I can plug in.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

That's unfortunate as that is the most basic test for your connection

What about stats?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I'll try and post the stats tomorrow. The connection is running off the 4G backup at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Normally everything up to the master socket is Openreach property and is their responsibilty to maintain. I suspect they won't be happy about you having added diy cabling to their infrastructure and if they do come to sort it out they will charge you for the work.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thats what I am trying to avoid 🙂

I dont have a corded phone to plug in the check the noise, do these stats help at all?

The noise margin fluctuates a lot - its currently showing 25.5 / 15.3...

Product code:Business Smart Hub 2
Serial number:+101221+2121010066
Firmware version:v0.28.01.12218-BT
Firmware updated:Thu Feb 8 20:30:25 2024
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.79 11_07_2023
DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours02 Mins01 Secs
Data rate:766 Kbps / 39.999 Mbps
Maximum data rate:749 Kbps / 50.768 Mbps
Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:On
Noise margin:3.4 / 8.7
Line attenuation:9.4 / 21.8
Signal attenuation:9.4 / 24.2
VLAN id:101
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:1.3 MB Uploaded / 1.8 MB Downloaded

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@easternbrown 

Are you a BT Business user?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

TBH , your DIY ‘interference’ has made matters worse and it’s unlikely that any further dabbling won’t improve matters ,  quite a while ago , the question of charges being raised for things Openreach are not responsible for ( like the end user altering OR infrastructure ) actually suggested that charges are not likely, so although a leap of faith , you probably should report the issue , the  chances are it will be fixed without any charges

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Yes I am BT Business...

0 Ratings