cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Qnap VPN File Server Through BT Smart Hub

Firstly this is a temporary situation resulting in having to work from home and having a Qnap File Server that we need to share with 3 other employees.

So residential fibre connection through a BT smartHub.

I have set up on the Qnap software (Qvpn) a VPN L2TP/IPSec Server as per the Qnap Instructions.

I set up port forwarding on the BT Hub as per instructions, with the three ports as stated in the Qnap documents.

I can connect to the Qnap from my computer using the internal (Fixed) IP address via the VPN. But when ever i try to make a connection from externally, (using my router external IP Address) I am getting an error message to say that the route is blocked.

Tried the restart of the router.

Any suggestions, am I missing something?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Qnap VPN File Server Through BT Smart Hub

How are you trying to access the external address? From a device on your LAN or from an external device? The former probably won't work. Try from a mobile connected to 4G rather than your WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Have used mobile phone (remembered to switch off wi-fi!) and also one of the employees tried from their home.

Neither worked.. 😞

I always understood that you can not test the connection without it been from a proper external source.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I take it you've changed the firewall to allow unsolicited incoming connections?

0 Ratings