cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Re: Digital Voice adapter won't pair with my Hub

Go to solution

I have the same problem and still have this problem.

My migration to  BT Digital Voice (DV) relies on being able to serve a set of engineering  building and a  station gift shop at a heritage railway.  I also have  our main station with a number of legacy phone line based devices (faxes etc.).

At our main station and admin building I have installed  a SH2 with a DECT W73P cordless phone,  this supplies our customer and volunteer Wi-Fi.  I have purchased   Digital Voice Adapters  BT   X16-G90 (item code 100121) this is all the recommended BT kit, there is nothing  that isn't BT/EE equipment.

I can pair    X16-G90 to  the W73P's base station and to my home BT DECT phone, but can't pair to the SH2  either at the railway or my one at home. In these tests, I used the WPS button on the adapter and the  W73P base station.  The phone has no dialing tone  and can't dial out.

Coming back to pairing to the SH2 (as per the setup guide),  I have tried the following:

1.   Pairing  using  the following:   Wi-Fi mode 1, WPA2 (Recommended) pressing  WPS button on router  then the  DV adapter
  2.  Pairing as item 1  but with  WPS started  via Hub's management 192.168.1.254 (the WPS continues for longer).
  3.  Pairing as item 2,  Wi-Fi security set to WPA-Auto (this trick working for connecting printers or older devices).

No pairing on any of these 3 items

=========================================================================

My setting are  the  default SH2 settings under Advanced wireless settings

• Separate bands OFF
  • Channels:  2.4 GHz -smart (channel 11)     and 5 GHz  Smart (channel 48)
  • WPS  ON

=============================================================================

I have not  investigated the alternative   Wireless Modes and in my current  SH2 installation  the on board
BT socket is not available  to me  on the  SH 2's  Manger  phone tab (seen in the DV Adapter's User guide)   is
not present either on the railway's or my own SH2.  

I need  advice  on how to solve this from an expert (P.S.  before I retired I had 40 years of IT Support & was a Network engineer),  so please no FAQ pages,   or applying the latest patches .

JohnP

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @JohnP3 

Just checking that you know that the DV Adapter uses DECT to connect to the SH2 and not WiFi. Fiddling with the WiFi setting has absolutely nothing to do with DV.

The WPS button has a dual function. A short press for WiFi and a long press for DECT. It is the long press that you should be using.

Also you appear to be a business customer, this community is for residential customers. https://business.forums.bt.com

Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnP3 In addition to the query though, you state:

In these tests, I used the WPS button on the adapter and the  W73P base station. 

If you are trying to hook up a DECT phone to the SH2 then you need to be pairing the handset to the SH2 not the base station. The SH2 ‘is’ the DV base station. The original base station can still be used for charging.

Alternatively just plug it into the back green socket.

‘if’ I misunderstood, forgive me. But there was a lot of information there about businesses and this is a residential only forum so I was skimming a little bit 😕

Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnP3 

As this should be  business connection you would be migrated by BT Business onto BT Cloud Voice, which is not the same as the residential BT Digital Voice, as it uses IP phones.

Its quite possible you have a BT Business Smart hub, which does not use DECT, and so the DV adapters are no use.

Your best option is to post on the BT Business forum for advice.

https://business.forums.bt.com/

You should not be using a residential account for business use, as its against the T&Cs.

Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnP3 

Reading what you said about volunteer Wi-Fi and fax machines, I suspect that it is probably the BT Business Smart Hub which you have, which is why you do not get dial tone on the socket, as its not used in your case.

Perhaps you could confirm exactly what service you have?

FAX machines will not work over VOIP anyway.

Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thank you for replying.

We were quoted for  a BT Fibre 76 Halo, Value Phone line with PAYG Calls at our main station and admin

Our account  says  Business Broad Band Access - FBSM0216719    and phone as  BTCV Service - CV10373682.

For our remote workshop, station and gift shop site we were quoted BT Broadband for Business Halo (ADSL), Value Phone Line with PAYG Calls  it looks like we are receiving a BTCV account from the delivery  information .

I hope this helps, do I need to change the account type for this to work? 

Someone on another forum said that the DECT off of the SH2 would work with a long press of the WPS button.  I'm sure  a 10s press counts as a long press.  I think I have already tried this.

JohnP

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

You are looking at how residential service works, you have a business service, it is different.

Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnP3 

You need to post on business forum using link posted by @Keith_Beddoe 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnP3 

Unfortunately, nothing you have purchased is going to work, so if you can return the Smart Hub 2 and the DV adapters, and get a refund, then that would be good idea.

BT Business have already supplied you with the W73P IP phone, so you need to use that. I do not think there is an answer for the FAX machine, as there is no ATA interface, and even if there was, it would not work.

You should be able to get lots of help on the business forum.

I wish you luck, as there are going to be lots of business users with issues.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

You would think an IT expert of 40 years would know this.

0 Ratings