cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Re: Horrendous ping and speeds with massive latency to the default gateway

I have this speed/latency problem and I don't have a business account. My upload speed dropped to 4 today. everything is slow. I do work from home several days each week and everything is slow. My line here used to be faster than the office but now I have repeated speed problems and it all started with latency on upload in excess of 350 (sometimes higher) which continues. I had no idea what this was but when my VOIP softphone became impossible (and embarassing) to use because of constant breaks in my voice (I could hear the other caller fine), an IT savvy friend spotted the massive constant latency issue. Resets, diagnostics and two visits by engineers (one in the house and found nothing and the other said to have worked outside), things have not improved. As I'm typing now the cursor is jumping about and the letters struggling to appear as fast as my slow typing.

I'm currently waitng for a call from BT but I've lost all confidence. It's been many weeks now. It's impacting on my work and my business. Does anyone have any suggestions? There's no point in changing supplier, BT are at least as good as everyone else and another supplier will be using their infrastructure anyway. I was wondering if someone has left the cabinet doors open and let the rain in! It would be wonderful to find a solution to this continuing problem instead of repeatedly having to exchange texts with BT (for which I'm charged by my phone company, to rub salt in the wounds). Help please!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hello,

each fault and service issue can be complex and more going on then what meets the eye.

Have you tried wired connection?

If your speed test to the hub and not over WiFi could show a potential fault.

when the external engineer attended did he mention that it requires more work? Because sometimes faults require differently skilled engineers or engineers with more equipment?

if the wired connection is fine and the WiFi is the issue this could be a channel issue where the hub has interference from other routers in the area and too many devices connected, you can try turning on automatic channel scanning in the hub manager settings if not already enabled or giving yourself a fixed channel.

if wired and WiFi is both having issues and was fine before this would need further investigation, you can self serve on  https://www.bt.com/help/report-and-track-your-bt-problem where you can run some diagnostics yourself on your Broadband Service.

do you know what service your on?

ADSL? - full copper service (up to 24mbps)

FTTC - Fibre To The Cabin (up to 80mbps)

SOGEA - This is essentially FTTC without Landline known as standalone broadband.

G.FAST - This is essentially FTTC with a cabinet light booster this can triple your speeds (up to 330mbps)

FTTP - Fibre To The Premise also known as Full Fibre (up to 1000mbps or 1,600mbps on NEW EE)

because the type of service can help determine the cause of your troubles.

I hope this was helpful!

Hope this helps! 🙂 If you like my reply and
want to say thanks for the helpful answer
then please click on the Kudos on left hand
side 😉 also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 😄
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@Keithy90610 

"As I'm typing now the cursor is jumping about and the letters struggling to appear as fast as my slow typing."

I'm not sure exactly how the forms on this forum work, but doesn't that particular point indicate a problem on the PC rather than the internet connection?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I'm not sure exactly how the forms on this forum work, but doesn't that particular point indicate a problem on the PC rather than the internet connection?

Yes.  I just typed this reply with WiFi turned off completely on my laptop and everything worked perfectly (I had to turn it back on to post, obviously).

0 Ratings