cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BBC iplayer

Go to solution

I have recently moved from Virgin Media to BT full fibre broadband. Since moving to BT I am having difficulty in getting my Sony TV to connect to BBC iPlayer. If a do a reboot on the TV it will sometimes connect to the iPlayer but not every time. The TV does connect to the internet but not BBC iPlayer. The software in the Sony TV is up-to-date. I never experienced problems with the Virgin Media broadband connection.  I am assuming there is something in the router software or settings which is causing the problem. So the question, has anyone else experienced this problem and how did you resolve it.

Thanks Derek

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BBC iplayer

Go to solution

Have you tried uninstalling the iPlayer app on the TV, rebooting the TV by holding down the power button on the remote until the "powering down" message appears then reinstalling the iPlayer app when the TV restarts?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I cant find a way to uninstall the iplayer app. I assume that the iplayer app being part of the Sony Select apps, is installed from new and will be updated with any Sony software updates. The uninstall button is not available for this app. I have powered down the TV several times as you describe.

Thanks Derek 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

There is nothing you can configure in the router

Is it just iPlayer that has a problem or other streaming services as well?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I guess that as you have said pre installed apps can not be uninstalled.

Which model and age is your TV?

While I doubt this will be the cause you could check that BT Web Protect has not been activated on your BT account.

To do that log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Security" and check that BT Web Protect is deactivated.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Other apps, YouTube works well and always connects. Netflix did not connect. BBC sounds does not connect.
I have tried the Browser to connect to the BBC web page and this will not connect, but the browser will connect to other web sites.
1. The Sony TV is about 5 years old model number is KD-55XF8096
2. Web protection was activated but is now turned off.
Since turning off the Web Protection the BBC Iplayer app has loaded without problem, so its looking like the problem could be within BT Web Protection.

Thanks for your all your help. Derek

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I doubted that web protect would be the problem because you previously said the TV connected to the Internet and you made no mention of there being any things else that would not connect but now that you have pointed out other apps would not connect along with web protect being active I now have little doubt that web protect has been blocking your apps.

You can over ride web protect when using a browser and I believe you can add sites to ignore via its settings page but my opinion and that of others on the forum is to keep it turned off unless you have a pressing need to have it turned on.

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

So you might be up against some over-protective content protection that both BBC I-Player and Netflix use.  The first thing to do is to power off the TV at the socket and leave it that way for a few minutes then try again.  If that doesn't work, you may need to reset the smart part of the TV to its manufacturer defaults through the system menus.
*On routers that allow it, the problem can sometimes be cured simply by changing the DNS servers.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@Crimliar 

Did you read message 6?

Turning off BT Webprotect solved the problem.

0 Ratings