cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Replacing BT Smart Hub 2

I'm looking for help/suggestions on replacing my standard BT Smart Hub 2. I currently have two people living in my house (myself and one other) - I am connected on my pc via a LAN cable, and my housemate is on wifi. I need to be able to change the settings so I can either prioritise all LAN connections over all wifi connections, or prioritise each connected device. I'm not very tech-savvy and my knowledge of routers is limited to knowing how to plug it in and not much else. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction or give me some pointers to help me know what I'm meant to be looking for!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Replacing BT Smart Hub 2

@Sh4dow85 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

What broadband service do you have?

If you have a VDSL connection, then this router offers priority and bandwidth controls.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/service-provider/dsl-router/archer-vr400/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thank you @Keith_Beddoe - I have Fibre 2, and I do have a VDSL connection (confirmed with BT). They said if I use a tp router it needs to support a 'dynamic IP system'. Not entirely sure what that means though. Does that make a difference with the router you linked?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@Sh4dow85 

Yes it does, and other forum members use one.

Its very easy to set up as it has BT VDSL as an option.

It also works with BT TV, should you have that package.

You cannot use it if you have BT Digital Voice, as that needs the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I don't have BT TV (and no intentions to have it), and I don't believe I have Digital Voice. My package is just for fibre internet with a home phone line, but it's on in incoming calls only basis (I have to pay additional costs if I dial out). After speaking with BT today they've determined there may actually be a fault on my line, so I have an engineer out on Monday to have a look at it. If that doesn't resolve the odd buffering I'll see if the router does the trick. Thank you for your help 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Hi

can i replace the hub2 with a TP-Link Archer AXE75, please? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@Ivymagoo 

Depends what service you've got.

If you have Digital Voice then you must keep the SH2 as the first device but can connect a router to it and use the router to do your hard work.

If you have FTTC or GFast then as above.

If you have Fibre 100/500/900 then you should be OK connecting the TP-Link router directly to the ONT.

Message 8 of 12

@TimCurtis 

Thanks 

I have fibre only, no landline.

So i could connect directly into this, would there then be a setup,process to run through?

Screenshot_20230530_164126_Chrome.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@Ivymagoo 

Not used a TP-Link device but there's surely an automated function which will do most of what you need.

Additionally a user name of  bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password of  bt is needed plus some vlan stuff which others I'm sure will add. I think vlan id should be 101 but not sure of what else.

Message 10 of 12

All you need are the PPPoE username and password as supplied by @TimCurtis 

VLAN id is a modem rather than router function and  thus will be taken care of by the ONT.