cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Replacing Smart Hub 2 with an Asus router

@TimCurtis wrote:

With an Asus router there is a section for preventing certain types of sites being accessed which cannot be overridden other than by changing the router settings. It's under AiProtection I think.

I would agree with licquorice that it is virtually impossible to stop a computer literate child overcoming parental controls. Just do an Internet search and you will find that there are hundreds if not thousands of post about how overcome them. It is easier to push water uphill.

Is it not the case that any router that allows for parental controls or blocking of certain sites can usually be overridden by changing the router settings. ie by gaining access to the router with the password or by doing a factory reset. 

In either case the parent may be unaware that this has been done without checking on a daily basis or while trying to access the router because any new password that had been set has now been over ridden and restored to the factory password.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

@gg30340 

Of course you're right but at least at the router level you might have a bit more control and if an attempt was made on the individuals device to change DNS settings , for example , then AiProtection would still work whereas BT Parental controls would be bypassed.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

I don't use BT Parental Controls or the AiProtect but they both appear to work in pretty much the same way. ie at a network level rather than at device level.

As far as I am aware and I could be wrong but it would appear that they both can be over ridden if a VPN is being used on the device.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

@gg30340 

Actually my mistake , it's the Asus Parental Controls where you can , by MAC Address , restrict access to Adult content etc much the same way as BT Parental Controls but not overridable  by DNS changes. Never had to use it in anger so can't verify it's effectiveness.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

A little bit harder to do but plenty of guides on Internet showing how to spoof MAC addresses so it is not infallible. 

0 Ratings