cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Replacing smart hub 2 with my own equipment

Go to solution

Hi all,

I have BT Halo 3 with FTTC. Since upgrading to the Smart Hub 2 I have an issue with my wifi. Basically the fact that both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are on the same SSID seems to be causing problems for some of my devices (in particular my Epson wireless printer).

Since the Smart Hub 2 cannot split SSIDs, I want to replace it with my own modem/router. However, having googled how to do this I am confronted with a dizzying array of technical terminology!

My original plan was to get my own router and then use the SH2 as a modem. However, the advice seems to be that this is a bad idea since the SH2 doesn't have a 'modem only' mode. So basically I would be 'double routing' my internet - which is bad?

This means I either need to get a separate modem/router combo, or a combined modem/router. However, when I try to work out what devices would be compatible with my connection, I see a lot of discussion about terms like g.fast etc. that I don't really understand.

Basically what I'm looking for is either a) a direct suggestion of a good device/combination of good devices that would work with my connection (something that is good but wouldn't break the bank - ideally I'm looking to spend less  than £150), OR b) information about what I need to look for in a device to ensure that it is compatible with myu connection.

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Replacing smart hub 2 with my own equipment

Go to solution

@sumpsimus 

The easiest option is to turn off the 5GHz wireless band on the home hub, unless its essential. If that is not possible, then plug in a 2.4GHz wireless access point, and connect problematic devices to that instead. A much cheaper option.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa901n/

If you use a phone service, then you will need the Smart Hub 2, nothing else can be used.

Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

@sumpsimus 

As Keith says turn off the 5GHz wifi , as you're on FTTC  they'll be no loss of speed to wifi attached devices.

And to clarify @Keith_Beddoe 's comment about the phone service he's referring to Digital Voice not a standard landline.

Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks both for the quick replies.

I did actually try turning off the 5ghz channel, but this resulted in very slow and unreliable internet in the rooms that are further away from the router. I know this doesn't make sense because 5ghz is shorter range and has lower penetration.

However, my guess is that there are a lot of 2.4ghz devices in my neighbours homes that are causing interference on this channel - hence why the 5ghz is better.

A 2.4ghz access point is a good idea, I didn't realise  that you could set these this way. Do you know if the BT 'discs' that come with the Halo package can serve this function, or are they just range extenders rather than independent access points?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@sumpsimus wrote:

A 2.4ghz access point is a good idea, I didn't realise  that you could set these this way. Do you know if the BT 'discs' that come with the Halo package can serve this function, or are they just range extenders rather than independent access points?

You cannot turn off the 5GHz on the discs, and they are just an extension of the Smart Hub 2, and have to be in range of the Smart Hub 2. You would have the same problem with some devices. A separate access point is usually the easiest way, if temporarily turning off 5GHz does not allow the problem devices to connect.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Cheapest option as you don't appear to require anything fancy would be to pick up an original Smart Hub from Facebook Marketplace or Ebay. Just reset it & plug it in & your good to go. That's assuming you don't have Digital Voice?

I'd also recommend downloading a utility to inspect your WiFi environment & then switch wireless channels away from "auto" & select the least congested channel out of 1, 6 or 11 for 2.4GHz. You should have no trouble finding a completely free 5GHz channel.

Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Provided of course that @sumpsimus  is not on a G.Fast connection, as that needs the Smart Hub 2.

Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for the really helpful responses all. How do I find out if I'm on a G.Fast connection? What's the alternative?

I do have an old Home Hub 5 knocking around (which did work OK, so maybe that means that I'm not on G.Fast?). I just didn't want to 'downgrade' routers to get everything working again - hence wanting to know about compatible alternatives.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

If your home hub5 worked, you are not on G.Fast. If you post a screenshot of your hub stats we can tell for certain.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

"fibre" 100 or above (Not FTTP) would be G.Fast. Normal VDSL only goes up to 80Mbs.

0 Ratings