cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

Router compromised?

Go to solution

I've had slow upload speeds for a while. I recently reset my smartphone as it wouldn't connect. I then rebooted my router and, of course, had to enter my WiFi  password on my smartphone. Almost immediately I had an email headed "Please verify your new device". I didn't open it as it is clearly spam as it was sent to an email address I no longer use (but still have access). It made me think.....coincidence? Or, in some way, how did the spam "know" I'd reset my smartphone? Made me think that maybe my router has been compromised  in some way. Is that possible? If so...how can I check.....and how can I fix it? Or maybe it's just a red herring?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: Router compromised?

Go to solution

It sounds more likely that you still have Smart Setup enabled on your router. See the instructions at What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help for details of how to disable it

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

It is doubtful that the email was spam or your router has been compromised. It is more likely that you have two factor authentication set up on your MyBT. If you do, because you reset your phone it will register as a new device rather than a trusted device.

As regards the "old" email address, it is possibly because it was the email address that you had previously registered on your MyBT

See link

Two-step authentication | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Many thanks. I checked and Smart SetUp is already off.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

Its reassuring to know its unlikely that my router has been compromised. The rest of your comments make sense. Still getting slow upload speeds so I think the issue regarding that may have nothing to do with my router.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

How are you testing? I know that the Broadband Performance Test facility on my router doesn't work (page loading error) So I'm guessing you're using an internet speed tester? If so and you're testing by Wi-Fi then your speeds will appear to be lower than they really are.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

Use this speed tester and post the results.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Also post what you were given as your guaranteed minimum speed when you first took out your broadband package. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

I got 46.23Mbps download and 8.35Mbps using that speed test link. The PC I'm on is connected directly to the router. I have been using testmy.net to test speeds - where I am getting much slower speeds - which seem to be more consistent with how slow my PC is when accessing the internet. Having said that, I suppose it could more be an issue with my PC - which is quite old. Although I check it frequently with MalwareBytes and I run Kaspersky on it. We also have quite a lot of "gadgets" connected to our broadband (including smartphones, tablets, Alexas and other laptops and TVs) - maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

How does that compare to the speeds you're paying for ?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

Those speeds are in line with what BT promise

0 Ratings