cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Router in wrong place for full fibre installation

Go to solution

Hi all,

Our telephone line comes into the back of our house and during renovation works two years ago we placed the router in a cupboard downstairs at back of house with BT socket and ran ethernet cables from Tvs etc to the router.

Full fibre can only be installed at front of house - abortive visit from Openreach confirmed this last year. I can’t move the router - too complicated. Is it ok to run an Ethernet cable internally from ONT box to the router? Or does router need to be plugged directly into it? 
I’m not with BT atm - my plan is to switch to them when I upgrade to Full fibre. 
do BT offer an installation service for this type of scenario? 

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Router in wrong place for full fibre installation

Go to solution

The router and ONT can be up to 100 metres apart.

Just requires Cat5e or better Ethernet cable.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Yes you can run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the Router no problem at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

the installation of the internal ethernet cable is up to the homeowner

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Many thanks everyone - that's very helpful.

Just one more question - my router ports are full! So to add an Ethernet cable from the ONT box I will need to disconnect something from the router. What is the best solution? Another router or something else?

Many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

A 5 port unmanaged Ethernet switch such as TP Link 5 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch TL SG105 TL-SG105 about £18 from usual suppliers.

Plug one port from your router into the switch and gain 4 outputs.

Or TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch LS1005G even cheaper