cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Set up issues, confusion over the connection wires and instructions are no help!

I am trying to set up my new Broadband smart hub 2! On the instructions it states- 

1. To connect it plug the ethernet cable (the red one) into the hubs WAN port and into the openreach PORT 1.
2. Plug the power cable into the walls power socket and into the hubs power port.
3. Lastly press the WPS button for two seconds and wait for instructions. 

I have followed and done all these three times but still all I get is the 'orange' light which means the hub is working but no internet! My account states that the internet will be turned on today the 11th April 2023.

However in the package box with the hub etc there is also a yellow connection led the same as the red one but no instructions on what this led is or what it is for? 
Can anyone help? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Set up issues, confusion over the connection wires and instructions are no help!

Are you getting FTTP OR FTTC- fibre to home or fibre to cabinet?  The red and yellow cables are just ethernet cables and you can use either

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Set up issues, confusion over the connection wires and instructions are no help!

The red and yellow leads are simply Ethernet leads, the colour is irrelevant. The yellow is just spare or can be used to connect to a PC Ethernet port.

If you have a solid orange light on the hub, your physical connections are ok but your account hasn't been activated yet.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Set up help, what is the yellow connection lead? Will I be charged when no WiFi till the 25th April?

Went to set up my new 'smart hub 2' today but all I get is the orange light which means hub connected but no internet. I went to check my BT account to find that they have changed the activation date from today (11/4/23) to the 25/4/23 another two weeks away! 

They are also now sending an engineer out on the 24/4/23 to install it, but install what as they haven't said what that is under the details? I thought it was as simple as just plugging it all in and connecting it up to my openreach modem?

Next, what is the yellow ended connection wire for? In the instructions there is nothing said about what this yellow lead is for or where it goes only the red one!

Lastly my account states my bill will be coming out on the 14th of every month but doesn't say what month the first bill will come out! Surely they cannot charge my on the 14th this month (April) as I haven't even been able to use my WiFi at all? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Re: Set up help, what is the yellow connection lead? Will I be charged when no WiFi till the 25th Ap

Try phoning CS 03301234150 and they will help with your account. You should not be charged until your line has been activated 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings