cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Set up question Garden Office

Hi 

I have a garden office that I'd like to connect to... Unfortunately due to location of my router at the front of my building I can't connect to that but I have a whole home disk at the back of my house, that I wanted to connect via ethernet cable (currently dug into lawn)  to another whole home disk in the garden room.. would that work? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Many thanks in advance for your replies! 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Set up question Garden Office

You can not have/use two routers on the same broadband, without setting one up as as a wireless access point instead of a router.

You would be far better to use your Ethernet connection in the Garden Office and connect it to a wireless access point. TP Link do a variety of access points starting in price at about £20.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

So sorry for my lack of knowledge but how would that work? Ethernet cable plugged into home hub disk at house end and then plugged into TP link access point at Garden room end? Would that have same WiFi details as main house? 

Thanks for your reply! 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

@Adsbn1 

This one is simple to setup https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801n/

You could have the same SSID, but its best to have a different one, so you know which you are connected to.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

@Keith_Beddoe 

So just so I'm clear one end of the ethernet cable  could be plugged into whole home hub disk (House End) and then  other end of ethernet cable would be connected to that? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

You have edited your first post to a completely different set up to what what you initially posted and to what I replied to!!

I will leave it to others to try and help you and not waste any more of my time.  

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

@Adsbn1 

You originally said.

"I have a garden office that I'd like to connect to... Unfortunately due to location of my router at the front of my building I can't connect to that but I have a home hub at the back of my house, that I wanted to connect via ethernet cable (currently dug into lawn) to another home hub in the garden room.. would that work? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? "

You can connect a cable from the home hub to the wireless access point.

Your last edit said you wanted to connect the house end to the Ethernet port on a BT disc. That may work, you would have to try it, but you are effectively adding an additional wireless path to the network, so I would expect the speed to suffer.  

Message 8 of 17

@gg30340 

Apologies like I said I'm a complete novice at this, and initially used the wrong terms.. Apologies again.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

@Keith_Beddoe 

Again apologies I was getting my terminology mixed up....

This is my my Set up..

Front of house BT Whole Hub Router.. which is connected to BT Whole home disk... At back of House is Whole Home disk connected wirelessly to Router at front... I wanted to connect whole hub disk at back of house somehow to garden room via ethernet cable!  Will happily buy pints to say sorry!  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

As I said, you would have to try it and see if it works, as I am not familiar with the BT disks.