cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Setting up VLAN with trunk

Go to solution

Hi

I’ve just had FTTP installed and looking for some help with moving the Router. 

The ONT has been installed in a cupboard under the stairs and currently means I have to keep my router in there also so I can connect up the 3 additional Ethernet sockets in there to distribute wired internet to 3 other rooms of my house (I also have a dect phone which needs to be plugged into the router).

So I want to move my router out of the cupboard and put in a different room that has an Ethernet port in already (which just goes back to a socket in the cupboard). I’ve read that if I get a couple of 5 port managed switches I might be able to connect the ONT to a port on there and then add a 2nd switch where I want my router then add a trunk to allow LAN traffic to be sent back over the cable in my office to the switch in the cupboard which I can then connect to the other rooms. 

Firstly, does that logic make sense, and if so can anyone point me in the direction of how I’d configure the TP Link TL-SG105E switches to do this as this would be new to me and not quite sure what I need to be searching for. 

thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Setting up VLAN with trunk

Go to solution

do you have digital voice as that requires hub connected directly to ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Yes I do hence why I’ve currently got the router next to the Ont and the phone next to the router. All in a cupboard which is daft and trying to reconfigure if I can. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

then you need to have the router connected directly to the hub for DV to work

I think you could connect ethernet from ONT to patch panel and then in other room ethernet to hub WAN but that restricts connection to other rooms from hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I believe its possible to combine WAN and LAN using a managed switch and Trunk VLAN but don't know the details. Might be worth asking on Kitz https://forum.kitz.co.uk/

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

What the OP is trying to do will work - but it doesn't always work quite the same way on every switch.

*I have done this in the past but it takes getting your head around it a bit - I'm not confident in fully explaining as I can't temporarily set it up without killing the local network here!  There is also the downside that having multiple VLAN connections over the same cable could drop the effective speed of 1Gbps ethernet to around 500Mbps theoretical and maybe 350Mbps reality!

The VLAN tags I'll use are all just for example.  Using 802.1Q  VLAN tagging, the connection from the ONT to the cupboard switch would be VLAN 12 and it would be untagged.  The connection from the cupboard switch to the router end switch would be VLAN 12 tagged and VLAN 1345 tagged (more on that shortly).  You'll then have a cable from the router end switch to the router WAN port and that will be VLAN 12 untagged.  You now run a connection from a LAN port on the router to it's switch and this will be VLAN 1345 untagged.  You've already added VLAN 1345 tagged to that single cable running between the two switches in a previous step.  So now you just need to add VLAN 1345 untagged to all the remaining ports on both switches and it'll give you three extra LAN ports both at the ONT and on the router end switch.

The only time any of your cables are carrying a tagged data stream (to stop the streams from crossing) is that one connection between the two switches!  It's best not to set this up on the system when it's live, make the ports up so you know whats what.  I'd run the switch to  switch cable on port 1, and the ONT and WAN connections on port 2 of the respective switches, that way the switches are set up identically.  Also mark up the ports, and keep some notes on what you've done in preparation for when it fails  and you've forgotten how it was set up!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
That's great @Crimliar

Exactly what I was after and a great helpful example, thank you.

Also thanks to all replies, really appreciate it