cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 25

Re: Setting up a third party router and modem

Go to solution

I reset the router via the pinhole at the back and tried to set up again(a few times now). I get the same message each time, that it's failed to detect any bandwidth. I think I'm stuck now. I'll probably try to return it now or sell on ebay. Thanks for your advice and help, I appreciate it.

Screenshot_20240724_131241_Chrome.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 25

Go to solution

Silly question, but I assume your BT hub works ok with the connection?

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 25

Go to solution

Yes BT hub works fine. Albeit my gaming connections are terrible hence me trying the new router. 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 25

Go to solution

Just looked at that speedtest again, it is just measuring the speed between your router and the ONT, not your internet speed.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 25

Go to solution

@seabassbluesmanwrote:

I reset the router via the pinhole at the back and tried to set up again(a few times now). I get the same message each time, that it's failed to detect any bandwidth. I think I'm stuck now. I'll probably try to return it now or sell on ebay. Thanks for your advice and help, I appreciate it.

Screenshot_20240724_131241_Chrome.jpg

That's a Netgear gaming router. There is no reason why it won't work with the BT thing. You just have to get the right settings.

There are various options, few of which anyone at BT will recommend or understand. BT's techies hate it when people go off piste and use their own kit. That takes away their control over your network.

How are you setting up the XR1000? Avoid using the mobile Nighthawk app that Netgear recommends. Use a wired link into the router. If you haven't done so already, get the manual fro the Netgear support site.

Nighthawk XR1000v2 | Pro Gaming Router | NETGEAR Support

That speedtest thing you are using may not be much use.  As @licquorice says, those on-board tests are hardwired from router to the outside world. Any other Speedtests on your network will give different results. The same applies to running tests on the various mobile apps. They may connect with wifi, but only to tell the router to go run the test.

To complicate matters, that Speedtest in your screenshot may be yet another variation on the theme. I haven't used DumaOS since the early beta days, but if it is anything like my Netgear MR90 router, that test is related to the QoS settings. With faster Internet (anything >~200 Mbps), QoS is pointless.

Those gaming routers are a bit different from the run of the mill Netgear stuff, they have the Duma OS operating system

There may be some folks here who know about them, but a better place might be here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

0 Ratings