cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 36

Re: Setting up guest wifi

Go to solution

Of course, not everybody would exploit it for nefarious ends but just keep in mind the sort of people that would do have an excellent knowledge of networking, are determined and are quite happy to reconfigure something even if it doesn’t work out of the box.

On the bright-side you’re right about the Wi-Fi.  To get a signal stable enough to work on they would probably need to be within 50m or so.  On the not so bright-side, if they have your router password and it allows remote access they could make use of it even if they were on the other side of the world.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 36

Go to solution
Understood!
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 36

Go to solution
Ok thanks for that. So, apart from locking the door after the tradesman has already bolted, what to do about it going forward?
Sounds like the solution of a WiFi extender is not ideal? Perhaps a very restrictive guest logon that auto expires after 10-30 mins? Any way of achieving that? Is the best solution to ditch the BT router and buy a better one?
Incidentally, at my last renewal I am now an EE customer for broadband even though I still have the original BT router.
0 Ratings
Message 34 of 36

Go to solution

@Teza 

As you are now an EE customer, you need to post on the EE forum https://community.ee.co.uk/, you may be able to get more help there.

EE are a separate company within the BT Group.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 36

Go to solution
I didn’t want to be! I had no choice.
Also EE told me I would not be getting a new router and essentially I am talking about the inability to set up a guest ID on the router.
0 Ratings
Message 36 of 36

Go to solution

@Teza  I suspect you are worrying unnecessarily, can't imagine many tradesmen will be rifling through your files.

The simplest solution is to just change your WiFi password temporarily and give that to tradesman. If you have to use your laptop/PC whilst he is there, just turn off network discovery to prevent access to your files.