cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Setup advice for Mesh

Hi all,

I'm giving up on the complete wi-fi discs as they just don't cut it with a FTTP 900mb connection and the speed we get at the far end of the house is just sad.  I have bought Deco X90 AX6600 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System to be delivered any day now.  I don't use Digital voice, but would like to use the smarthub still if possible for its extra ethernet ports as the Deco only has one left after plugging in WAN.

Could the following be set up.

Openreach box > Smarthub2 > Deco (switching off wifi on the Smarthub2)

or would it be better to just put the deco straight into the Openreach box and buy and attach a switch to the available port?  Any downsides to this.

Thanks in advance !

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Setup advice for Mesh

Buy a switch.

Message 3 of 19

I have a similar setup albeit with FTTC, so have an HG612 modem into the Deco M5 with an 8-port switch on the Deco's other port. I can think of no good reason to use the SH2.

Message 4 of 19

If you ever get a fault BT may require you to put the BT  Hub first so you config with the Deco attached to the Hub would avoid any issues in that case. I suggest holding onto the BT Hub even if you don't use it (BT may charge you later if you do not return it when asked).

Putting a switch in with just the Deco would be a much simpler setup overall. You would like have to change more  settings  than just disabling WiFi on the BT Hub, DHCP servers?, Deco as a router might involve changing IP routing.

Message 5 of 19

Thanks all, I'll report back when I have setup.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Another thought, will this setup affect bt tv in any way?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Shouldn't do. I can receive the preview channel 330, so the Deco seems  to pass multicast OK.

Message 8 of 19

Hi, another question.  As I have Halo 3 which includes Hybrid, I'm assuming that wouldnt work with just the Deco on its own so would need to use the Smart Hub also.  Am I correct ? 

Or just disconnect all things BT and plug it all back in should I encounter any connection problems ?

Only reason I'm asking about the Hybrid is my contract doesnt end until next year so I'd be paying for it anyway

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Yes, the hybrid device only works with the Smart Hub2

Message 10 of 19

Thanks so as above

Option 1) Modem > SH2 > Deco to have Hybrid

Option 2) Modem > Deco and only plug in BT equipment until end of contract if I have  fault.

0 Ratings