cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Slow Broadband

Hopefully this is the right board. 

I've been having issues with my broadband recently. My partner rang BT on the 21st of December and they sent an Engineer out who then changed the box for the phone line. 

The above made had made no difference and I'm averaging around 30-50MBPS download speeds. Trying to run a PS5 and Netflix from that is a bit of a struggle and a nightmare where a child is concerned. 

I do believe BT have a 30 day period to fix the issues I've mentioned and if not I can leave the contract? 

I have discs in any room that relies heavily on WiFi but from what I can make out the incoming connection is not just good enough. We've been resetting the hub and that lasts about an hour or 2. Everything mentioned here has been delayed to the engineer and BT support. 

So my question(s) is: If this is not fixed in 30 days can I leave? Has anyone had a similar issue and how was it fixed?

Appreciate any help. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Slow Broadband

@Bigfatdave 

What speed range were you given when you ordered your broadband package, and what was the minimum guaranteed connection speed?

30-50Mbs connection speed should be more than adequate.

Remember speeds are quoted for direct connection of a device using an Ethernet connection. Wireless speeds are not guaranteed by any ISP.

Message 3 of 8

Don't keep rebooting the hub, that doesn't help because each reboot sets the link back to the lowest speed to give a level of service... Over the next few days it will then increase the speed...

30-50MBPS should be fine for Netflix and PS5

Message 4 of 8

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 8

Guaranteed it at 55MBPS. 

Apologies that should have been X2 PS5s.

It's actually managing ok when it wants to but I'm getting buffer issues all the time when using Netflix, Disney and Amazon. 

Only getting a small amount of lag on the upstairs PS5 and that's connected via ethernet to a disc. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I should have said it is 2 PS5 systems. 

Rebooting it seems to be the only thing that stops the lag, albeit temporarily, but it does make watching a movie doable. 

I didn't realise it did that though. I'm starting to think my hub may be playing up. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks I'll do this shortly and post result. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Only getting a small amount of lag on the upstairs PS5 and that's connected via ethernet to a disc. 

Than that is still a wireless connection and not a direct Ethernet connection to the home hub.

Buffering on a wireless connection is quite possible, especially if the wireless channel is congested.

Changing the wireless channel on the home hub would be the first thing to try. Rebooting is not a good ideal.

0 Ratings