cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Slow bt whole home with tp link router

Hi I have bt fibre 500 I purchased a tp-link archer c4000 as I was hoping it would improve the WiFi signal as it was really poor on the bt hub. I have 5 BT whole home discs (the white ones) any ideas why when I connect them up I still get really poor WiFi speeds I'm averaging about 70mbps download a far cry from the 500mbs I should get, I can't figure out why the speeds are so bad. All the discs say there in a good location on the app.

Appreciate any feedback.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slow bt whole home with tp link router

@Nick-B 

You would possibly get better results without the Whole Home Discs, as the TP Link router has a good specification, and possibly the discs are upsetting the performance.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I have a tri-band mesh system with my draytek 2927AC with no loss , Get a good mesh network 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@Jim333 what mesh system did you use ? Are you still getting a stable connection with it and full speed ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I'm using 7 linksys tri band routers 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

There are different versions of the Whole Home Discs, so it would probably be helpful to know exactly which version you have.  Also for 5 discs to be sensible you'd need either a VERY large home, solid rock walls (a thing in some places), or some combination of the two.  Too much WiFi can actually slow things down and sometimes something as simple as moving the router to a better spot can have the equivalent effect of adding 2 repeaters/mesh units.

*While I'm a BT newbie, used properly the BT discs I seen in use have always pretty darn impressive!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@Crimliar  I have the white whole home discs, and I need to have 5 discs connected as my house is pretty big and does have some thick walls in places.

My issue is the whole home is rubbish, I pay for a 500mbps speed and I'm lucky if I ever get 150mbps random discs constantly disconnect so I'm forever having to reboot them. 

I have tried using less discs and when I have I'm lucky to get 60mbps it's obvious that Bt's so called mesh system is pants simply look at the forum to see how many others either get disconnects or slow speeds. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

So it sounds like you may be coming up against the capabilities of WiFi, not necessarily just the Whole home system.  You probably need some form of wired distribution either ethernet or powerline and then add APs (possibly use the discs for this).  One oddity in many solidly built houses (excluding concrete structures) is that you can often keep the APs to just a single floor, as WiFi often passes through floors more easily than solidly built walls!  If this is your situation, you may need to track down local tradespeople with the experience you need to put the necessary infrastructure in place.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

People have totally unrealistic expectations for WiFi.

0 Ratings