cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 143

Re: Smart Hub 2 Wi Fi devices are dropping connection and reconnecting

Yes. DV adds no useful functionality but is a handcuff to staying with BT. Cynical
BT Smart Hub 2 + BT Disc on full fibre 150Meg Halo FTTP
Macs and iphones, plus alexa, YouView box, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV+
CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 143

Agreed. Just waiting on a call back from BT, missed their call earlier. See what I can do then regarding this mess.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 143

There seems to be a firmware issue that is causing Wi-Fi drop outs on the SH2. I’ve been running for two years without problem but this week I’ve been getting occasional disconnections . I am investigating.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 143

I've manually set 2.4 and 5Ghz channels. That resulted in a loss of network (not just internet) connectivity over wireless (expected) and also wired (not expected).
I've power reset the SH2 and now have connectivity. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
0 Ratings
Message 35 of 143

I must say I found it unacceptable that updates are pushed without proper testing, braking such  a basic functionality.

There is no choice to opt out from the update so after update you just need to hope nothing is broken this time. I would rather have an option to delay the update and take it once it's been proven. Not to mention there is no changelog (as far as I can tell) to indicate what has been changed in the firmware.

I would like to mention that is not just kids being kicked out from the games or glitching Netflix.

Some of us are professionals, working from home 8-10hrs/day, using VPN to the office, doing online meetings and remote support of the customers. 

Issues like above mean I get disconnected from remote sessions, potentially leaving remote system in vulnerable state. I need to kill WiFi, wait until router is willing to reconnect me and hope nobody on the other end took over they system.

Not to mention it looks really unprofessional.

Are those threads actually monitored by BT support?

Apologies for the rant

Message 36 of 143

Firmware:
I saw the issue a month or two ago in Firmware v0.30.01.08093-BT
I am still seeing the problem in v0.31.00.10253-BT.
I have had the same issue on two different SmartHub 2's
So it might be a change in the firmware updates a few versions prior to v0.30.01.08093

I agree it does not help fault finding if there is no change log.  Likewise the phone help at BT Tech Support have no knowledge of this issue in the knowledge bank.

I am slightly curious why @ivenhov has just seen the problem, as I presume all our SH2s are updated overnight at the same time, and I have had the problem since February.  Can everyone state their Firmware number?

I am pretty sure it is firmware, as my rock solid SH2 was fine for 2 years previously on FTTH.   I have done the usuals - turned off Smart Setup, Smart channel scanning off, disabled the BT disk.  I tested with either 5GHz OR 2.4Ghz switched off completely and did not see the issue repeated - not definitive, but an indicator.   

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 37 of 143

Hi, I am floundering with same problems of wifi dropping connections. I notice the problem primarily on desktop when researching on internet and again with a smart TV that is used only for streaming, (No aerial connection). The situation is perhaps not helped by my use of a powerline network, However the furthest distance devices from the hub seem to communicate without a problem. The Desktop which has line of sight 10 ft from the hub 2 can only see wifi if it is also wired to a powerline adapter. The smart Tv is located in a lower ground floor room and wired to its own powerline adapter. We have had the problem ever since we transferred to fibre, initially an engineer came out and after using 3 different hub2 units finally got one to work with the system but left saying we should swap the powerline adapters around to see which one was causing problems. I have tried just about every combination of adapters across the system and replacements as well and still get the problem. After a very long and protracted discussion with Bt yesterday in which all of my equipement was called into question just because there are no fault lights showing on either the modem or the hub I ended the call Frustrated!  I noticed from the posts here that there was some concern that a firmware update may be the issue V0.30.01.0893-BT but my Hub 2 is running V0.33.0012274-BT dated 4/4/22 @10:45 

Not sure what to try next, can any one suggest a way forward.  

Message 38 of 143

Hi @windcol 

My theory is that it afflicts all Firmware versions after a version rolled out automatically in January.  Firmware updates are normally incremental and so a bug in v 0.30.01 etc is likely to remain in following updates.  My hub is now running v0.31.00.10253   3rd March.   Certainly BT Tech support do not have nay log in their knowledgebase of this fault, or what is contained in firmware updates.

I have a fudge workaround that has reduced the dropouts significantly (but not all). I have turned off 2.4GH channel. I have a few devices that only work on 2.4GHz so they now lock on to a separate powerline adaptor with 2.4GHz wifi.

@NicolasS Did you get a solution from the engineer visit? 

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 39 of 143

I'm having the same issues as @ivenhov .  Working from home and connecting to remote servers & tools via VPN - connection drops for those few seconds and kicks me out of VPN or the tools or both.  Lost the work I've done and have to go back.    Trying to present in meetings is embarrassing because you don't know whether you're going to make it through or not.  

Bigger dropouts cause my SkyQ & security cameras to disconnect (managed to slightly resolve that by changing the 2.4ghz channel so less disconnections).

Complained to BT and had an engineer out but no surprise couldn't find anything although they could see my connection had dropped.  Had new Smart Hub and new cables - worked okay for a couple of weeks then same again.   Engineer out again but no issues.   Been okay for a couple of weeks again and now back on the same issue.  Coming to end of my contract in a few months and seriously considering other providers but worried i'm going to get the same issue with them too.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 143

@caz138 have you tried a different router?   I think it is telling that a new Smarthub 2 works fine then the issues return. This supports my firmware upgrade initiates the fault  theory. 

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings