cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 61 of 143

Re: Smart Hub 2 Wi Fi devices are dropping connection and reconnecting

Resist it all you like but King Canute failed. The pstn is going to be switched off in 2025 whether you like it or not.

0 Ratings
Message 62 of 143

So far i've been having issues since the beginning of February which ties in with others on here.   The problem is getting steadily worse - my SkyQ & security camera's keep dropping off, my work laptop kicks me out of VPN regularly (major issue in my job), freezes in meetings and now has started to completely kick me out of meetings as my connection completely drops.  I have tried my laptop both wired and wifi but no difference between the 2.

Have had 2 engineers out checking the line (Feb & March) and a home tech guy this week.  He requested that they send me a Smart Hub 1 so that I can split the channels as he was seeing drop outs as my laptops etc moved between the 2.  Still not convinced that this is the actual issue, but am hoping that the older hub may not have the same firmware updates?

At any one time, I only have a max of 4 things connecting to it - SkyQ, Laptop, Tablet & Security Cameras, so basically nothing much compared to a lot of families.

Have ordered a router recommended by someone on here as a back up if that fails, so I can at least either prove it's the firmware or rule out an internal issue.

0 Ratings
Message 63 of 143

• @caz138   The SH1 may well be a solution.  SH1 doesn’t have a DV socket so is not a workaround for me.  
BT Smart Hub 2 + BT Disc on full fibre 150Meg Halo FTTP
Macs and iphones, plus alexa, YouView box, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV+
CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 64 of 143

I'm avoiding DV as long as possible
0 Ratings
Message 65 of 143

I only use DV/PSTN for the intruder alarm so maybe I should be looking to upgrade that to a newer technology so I'm not tied to the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 66 of 143

There are 2 issues with the Smart Hub 2.

The latest firmware update removes the "smart setup" menu option, so you cannot disable it.

It also does not let you split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks.

The latter is what causes problems and the 3 second connect/disconnect cycle.

I've spoken to broadband support about this, who also cannot disable smart setup and offered to "disable 5ghz, which will fix this issue" - which is not a fix at all.

You can prove this by plugging in your old router (my old router is the SH1 ultrafast) and on wifi setup, join the networks (using one SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz networks).  Your devices will then suffer the same issue as on the latest SH2 firmware.

I have logged a complaint with BT for exactly this, as the SH2 hardware they forced me to pay £10 to get delivered - sits in its box in the garage useless.  They keep politely offering to close the complaint, but offer no way to update it or offer any updates on their attempts to resolve it.

It is a shame as if you connect to the newer SH2 router via ethernet, it is markedly faster than the SH1 in my quick testing.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 67 of 143

@cmccwrote:

The latest firmware update removes the "smart setup" menu option, so you cannot disable it.

Hi @cmcc   

I'm afraid that is not true. It should be off by default but you can enable it if you want.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Issues-post-firmware-upgrade-home-hub-2/m-p/2228267#M27019

Message 68 of 143

See message 94

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Issues-post-firmware-upgrade-home-hub-2/td-p/2225699/page/10

It is now thought but yet to be confirmed that Smart Set Up is turned off by default.

Message 69 of 143

until the band splitting in to 2 distinct networks comes back to the firmware - it is not a usable device(for me at least)
0 Ratings
Message 70 of 143

@cmccwrote:
until the band splitting in to 2 distinct networks comes back to the firmware - it is not a usable device(for me at least)

Hi @cmcc   The Smart Hub 2 has never had band splitting. 

0 Ratings