cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 121 of 143

Re: Smart Hub 2 Wi Fi devices are dropping connection and reconnecting

BT Client Engineering Hub In-Life Manager has been trying to diagnose the issue with me.  We downgraded the firmware on my SH2 from v33 to v27 (December 21 version IIRC).  This was inconclusive during the period I tested it, although I only had 5 hours to test it as it would automatically update overnight back to V33.

So back on v33 I am still experiencing the dropouts on wifi / band swapping/roaming.  I have now binned my BT discs and run the SH2 as a Modem with WiFi on (for the 2.4GHz) and have added a ASUS router in AP mode with a remote node.  So now I have 2 separate sets of SSIDs to choose from, and I can keep the DV functionality.

BT Smart Hub 2 + BT Disc on full fibre 150Meg Halo FTTP
Macs and iphones, plus alexa, YouView box, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV+
CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 122 of 143

Have you found a solution? I am having the same issue that smart hub 2 keeps dropping 2.4 GHz devices.

0 Ratings
Message 123 of 143

Solution?  No. 

BT tech help spent a lot of time investigating and did not identify a solution now workaround.  The eventually just forgot about answering my detailed reports. 

My workaound was to install a second router sitting next to my BT Smart Hub. I have an Asus for an additional 2 bands of WiFi whilst retaining the SmartHub as I need that for DV that I didn’t want. 

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 124 of 143

Yeah I put it in box in garage until 3 days ago and used old hub. But this old one was going bananas so... Plugged in one from garage, it updated and now works as it should.

The is still no split network function on WiFi, this is still handled by the router.  

It appears they fixed this in firmware by forcing all Apple devices on my network to 2.4ghz only.

The issue before was, Apple devices would jump between network bands every minute or so and nothing would stay connected.

It really is a poor customer experience tbh but what do they care 👍

0 Ratings
Message 125 of 143

I have gone through all posts on this thread. Thanks for the very useful discussion.

My situation is I used to use Smart Hub 1 with less devices (5G + 2.4 G) with no problem. Since a few months ago I upgraded my broadband package and BT said I had to change to Smart Hub 2. Now I am using Smart Hub 2 with about 20 devices. Half of them are on 2.4G like smart bulbs, smart plugs and security cameras. They often get disconnected by the hub. Also sometimes I can see my google nest hub or printer (which work on both 2.4 and 5) jumping between the two frequencies.

I talked to BT tech support who seemed to already know this issue. I asked them to send me back the Smart Hub 1 so that I can use it as an access point only for 2.4G and use the Smart Hub 2 for 5G (physically connect hub 1 to hub 2 with an ethernet cable). They said they will send me another hub 2 just to test if the current hub 2 is damaged or fault during delivery. 

Now I am connecting a second Smart Hub 2 physically to the first Smart Hub 2. They provide signals for 2.4G and 5G separately. However, this still does not solve the problem (maybe there is some improvement) as in the "hub manager" of the main Smart Hub some devices often jump from "5G list" or "ethernet cable connection port 2" to "WiFi discs", and I still have the dropping issue frequently.

I don't know why the second Smart Hub 2 is sometimes "considered" as a WiFi discs (I don't have a WiFi discs at all). I then tried using a NETGEAR EX6410 WiFi Range Extender as access point to replace the second Smart Hub 2 (i.e. still physically connected to port 2 of the main Smart Hub 2 as access point only for 2.4G) and found no more devices jumping to "WiFi discs". The connection for 2.4G is a bit more stable during late evening or midnight and dropping still occurs in day time (I have more network traffic in late evening).

Since a few days ago BT upgraded the firmware again (it was v0.37.xxxxxx but now v0.38.00.10147-BT). Now the late evening connection is as bad as day time connection. I tested last midnight at 2 am and the devices dropped nearly every minute. They used to be ok with the Netgear Extender (as an access point) at the midnight.

Also, sometimes the Netgear Extender itself gets disconnected (even if it is physically connected to the main Smart Hub 2) and then all devices connected to it got disconnected.

0 Ratings
Message 126 of 143

Which Asus router are you using? Which port on the Asus router do you connect to which port on the Smart Hub 2?

Does your Asus router provide 2.4G or 2.4 + 5G? Do you turn off 2.4G on your Smart Hub 2?

I am basically following this post to connect my 2nd Smart Hub 2 as access point:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/BT-Smart-Hub-2-and-DiY-Access-Point/td-p/214577...

02-03-2021 8h45 - edited ‎02-03-2021 8h47

Message 2 of 19
Re: BT Smart Hub 2 and DiY Access Point

You don't need a password as you won't be connecting the old Netgear router to the WAN.

On the Negear:-

Simply set a static IP of anything you please in the range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63 (the DHCP pool starts at 64).

Turn the DHCP server off.

Connect the two routers together LAN to LAN.

Job done.

0 Ratings
Message 127 of 143

Do you mean you can now use a single Smart Hub 2 for both 2.4G and 5G with NO drop issue?

How many devices do you connect to the hub?

0 Ratings
Message 128 of 143

@cmcc 

It appears they fixed this in firmware by forcing all Apple devices on my network to 2.4ghz only.

The issue before was, Apple devices would jump between network bands every minute or so and nothing would stay connected.

So this is interesting. Effectively BT have found the problem, but not confirmed to anyone that they have bodged a workaround by disabling 5G channels for Apple devices. Very poor.

My Asus is connect straight ethernet cable from the Smarthub.  Model: ASUS Zenwifi mini CD6 AC1500 Whole-Home Mesh

CFP project lead.
Message 129 of 143

Glad I found this thread, I'm at my wits end with disconnections.

The HomePod I am currently AirPlaying football commentary too has dropped off the network 3 times in the first half (which is still playing). 

I have DV, so the best advice appears to be buy a decent wireless AP or Mesh and turn the WiFi off on the Smart Hub 2, is that correct?

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 130 of 143

@stereohaven 

You may find the TP Link Deco M4 wireless mesh system of interest. It has dual band on its main SSID, but also has a separate guest SSID which can be configured to be 2.4GHz only. You can also enable local network access.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m4/v1%20(2-pack)/

I use the guest network for devices that prefer to have a 2.4GHz only connection, although most seem to have no issues with the main dual band SSID.

I suspect most of the dropout issues are probably down to the design of the SH2.

I use a TP Link modem/router with wireless turned off.