cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

BT Smart Hub 2 and DiY Access Point

Go to solution

Hi,

Just switched to BT Broadband and have the BT Smart Hub 2. The wi-fi coverage doesn't cover the house so thought rather that paying £20 a month extra for the complete Wi-Fi I would attempt at setting up an old Netgear Router as an Access Point. Followed a couple of guides and gave it a static IP, turned off DHCP and disabled NAT. Also changed the ISP to PPPoE and put bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the Login. I've not changed channels or the SSID yet.

Thought I'd cracked it when my smart phone connected to the AP happily. Problem I have is that when I connect a laptop (I've tried two), I can get on to the AP wi-fi ok but there is no internet access? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 and DiY Access Point

Go to solution

You don't need a password as you won't be connecting the old Netgear router to the WAN.

On the Negear:-

Simply set a static IP of anything you please in the range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63 (the DHCP pool starts at 64).

Turn the DHCP server off.

Connect the two routers together LAN to LAN.

Job done.

Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
Thanks Les-Gibson for the reply. Issue is that I only get internet access though the first device to connect to the AP? Multiple devices connect to the AP over Wi-Fi but only first connected gets the internet access? Any thoughts?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Factory reset the Netgear and then just give it an IP address outside of the range of the DHCP pool of the hub, gateway address 192.168.1.254 and turn off DHCP. That should be all you have to do.

Edit: Try using a different LAN port on the Netgear.

Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

@mtoher1 

Did you turn the DHCP server off on the Netgear? If not then you have one network with 2 DHCP servers running, better known as a recipe for disaster with a risk of IP address clashes

Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Hi, yes DHCP off on the Netgear. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
@licquorice big improvement with that - thanks. Still a lot of instability on with the internet access through the the AP but getting there. I've turned of Smart Setup on the Smart Hub (thought that might help). Would you recommend any other setting amendments at that end?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Set the wireless channels manually on both devices and make they are on different non overlapping channels.

Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Have you any other devices working on a static IP address? if so, check the SH2 device table to make sure that the address you allocated to the Netgear isn't in use by another device.  http://192.168.1.254/my_network.htm

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

@licquorice channels set to non overlap. Changed powerline adaptors just in case. Still problems.

Log onto wifi ok at either wireless router or AP and have internet access.

Move from wireless router to AP - all good

Move back from AP to wireless routes and wifi connection maintains but internet connection drops.

Device cannot reconnect to internet (wifi connection maintains) 

Thanks for the response @licquorice and @Les-Gibson 

0 Ratings