cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 143

Smart Hub 2 Wi Fi devices are dropping connection and reconnecting

Hi all, I need some advice. I have the 900mb Fibre package and a Smart Hub 2. I am having issues where like my laptop is disconnecting from the Wi-Fi and reconnecting about 3 secs later. I have checked the log in the router and it shows that DHCP disconnected and reconnected a few seconds later. I see a lot of  2.4 G Client Deauthentications errors and today a lot of devices have disconnected on the Wi-Fi and they all seem to be on the 2.4 G band.

I remember back in May there was an issue with a firmware issue which was causing issues on the bands, but I got Firmware version: v0.27.06.04290-BT. It was cured until this firmware and then it popped back up. Gaming is a pain as the laptop or consoles keep dropping. On Ethernet it is fine and don't drop, but sadly not able to run the laptop hardwired permanently. 

Anyone having this issue?? I was looking to change to a 3rd party router, but I have the VOIP voice now so need the Smart Hub, but was looking to disable Wi-Fi on the smart hub and connect the new router to it and use it as the access point and keep the Smart Hub 2 for the Connection and VOIP. Would this work as the issue is getting annoying now. I have reset the hub and this works for a few days and then it develops the same issue.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Anthony

142 REPLIES 142
Message 2 of 143

Re: Smart Hub 2 Wi Fi devices are dropping connection and reconnecting

have you turned of smart setup  

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 143

Hi and thanks for your reply. Yes I turned that off the 1st day I got the smart hub. Thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 143

Have you tried changing the channels from auto to fixed channels probably after using a WiFi analyser on mobile to find best channel for your home. Have you also tried changing wireless mode from 1 to either 2 or 3 to see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 143

Thanks for the reply. I tried that and still the same. I only get a choice of 4 channels if I change from smart to normal and none are what the Wi-Fi analyser suggest. The SH2 only has limited choices by the looks. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 143

Did you ever get to the solution?

I am having similar issues. More regularly now the laptop logs of and re-connects to the wifi... a second or two later.  I notice that am having to refresh browsers more regularly.  It never used to do this.

16:34:41, 01 Feb.
ARP [add] br0(wl0) 192.168.1.113 b0:be:83:0e:21:f0

16:34:08, 01 Feb.

2.4G Client disassociate from b0:be:83:0e:21:f0 (IP=192.168.1.113) RSSI=0, Rate=0Mbps

16:34:07, 01 Feb.

2.4G client Mac: B0:BE:83:0E:21:F0 Deauthentications (Reason:Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS)

16:34:04, 01 Feb.

5G Client associate from b0:be:83:0e:21:f0 (IP=192.168.1.113) RSSI=-42, Rate=866Mbps, host Pauls-Air

16:34:03, 01 Feb.

Receive a DHCP request

16:34:03, 01 Feb.

WHW INFO A station STA(B0:BE:83:0E:21:F0) leave WHW infrastructure

16:34:02, 01 Feb.

WHW INFO A station (Smart Hub 2)IF[5G](0C:8E:29:CB:3E:24):STA(B0:BE:83:0E:21:F0)(Legacy Device) join WHW infrastructure

16:34:02, 01 Feb.

Self roaming might be occurring... Deauth original one...

16:32:47, 01 Feb.

2.4G Client disassociate from 00:fc:8b:52:b7:eb (IP=192.168.1.100) RSSI=0, Rate=0Mbps

16:32:45, 01 Feb.

WHW INFO A station STA(00:FC:8B:52:B7:EB) leave WHW infrastructure

16:32:45, 01 Feb.

2.4G client Mac: 00:FC:8B:52:B7:EB Deauthentications (Reason:Disassociated due to inactivity )

BT Smart Hub 2 + BT Disc on full fibre 150Meg Halo FTTP
Macs and iphones, plus alexa, YouView box, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV+
CFP project lead.
Message 7 of 143

Hi, something I had as well. I think it resolved itself by me changing the channel. But to be honest, it was only 1 device that did it, my laptop. I changed to a wire for gaming but it could have been fixed by a firmware update. It still happens occasionally but cant do much as my phone line is now VOIP through smarthub 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 143

Thanks ACHarris.   As a test I have changed the 2.4Ghz channel as it appears it was that one that was dropping.  I am seeing re-logins onto the wifi again even as I write this.  Firmware v0.30.01.08093-BT

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 143

@pmosb 

Did you use a WiFi analyser to decide which channel to select?  Did you try changing the mode from 1 to either 2 or 3?

Make sure smart setup is turned off in hub manager

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 143

OK - I have switched off Smart Setup (I assumed that was only a one-time use setup when installing a new hub.)

I use iStmbler to wifi analyse, and then the BT Smart Hub auto select and that channel on 2.4Ghz from 6 to 11 as that seemed less congested, although there are no direct conflicts on 1/6 or 11.

I am on Mode 1 and always understood that was the most stable vs speed option.  I am reluctant to fiddle with it . What are the benefits of Mode 2 /3 ?  The devices I am using are newish iPhones, Macs - none have previously had issues with the Smarthub so I am not convinced changing the Mode is wise - especially as it looks like 2.4GHz may be the band that is tripping out.

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings