cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Smart Hub 2 and DMZ

Go to solution

Hi all

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I would prefer to have a thread dedicated to my exact need.

FTTP with digital voice was recently installed and is working perfectly with the provided Smart Hub 2. Given the use of digital voice, I realise that the Hub is necessary.

I have some specific VPN needs when away from home for work and have purchased an additional router that I have customised and set up with OpenWRT and tested on a separate connection where it is connected to the ONT directly. All works great.

For my home, if I were to set up the OpenWRT router with a static IP address on the Hub LAN and added that IP address to the Hub's DMZ, will that forward all VPN traffic to the OpenWRT router? Would I need to define additional port forwarding for the required VPN service?

Hub LAN is on 192.168.1.x subnet.
OpenWRT router is on 192.168.2.x subnet.

OpenWRT has one OpenVPN service configured and ready to run and also one Wireguard service configured and ready to run. The devices I need to access remotely would be connected directly to the OpenWRT router.

I'm not sure about if this will cause a double NAT. Experience/advice appreciated!

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Smart Hub 2 and DMZ

Go to solution

Yes, that will work without any further port forwarding. By putting the Open WRT router in the DMZ you are opening all ports.

0 Ratings