cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Smart Hub 2 not connecting via 5GHz🤔🤔

I will be amazed if someone can give me a solution to this as I have been trying to get it sorted with BT for over 2 months and no resolve. I bought fibre 500 and want to get the benefit out of it on my 2 main devices, (samsung S20 FEs phones.)After 2 engineer visits they have basically said they are not sure why the phones are more often than not being put on the 2.4 and not the 5ghz. This is apparently a feature of the smart hub 2 as its always 'looking for the strongest signal' 😏. I am getting annoyed because I can literally be standing 1m away from the router and it's still keeping me on the 2.4!!. Does anyone know how I can get my phones to be more consistently on the 5 ghz. You can't spit the bands as I have read, and I cannot disable the 2.4 as I need it for blink cameras. Does anyone have any work arounds in the phone itself or is there away for the router to do more regular scans so it will be switch back to the 5ghz more often?

If it helps, the phones are only usually 4m in any given direction away from the router going through 1 plasterboard wall with not metal insulation material. It's so frustrating when I am paying for these speeds.

TIA

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart Hub 2 not connecting via 5GHz🤔🤔

The decision on whether to connect to 2.4 or 5ghz network is made by your device and not the hub. The hub broadcasts the WiFi networks but does not decide which one your device connects to

Only way to make device connect to 5ghz is turn off 2.4ghz network in hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 10

You could disable the 2.4GHz on the SH2 and add an Access Point (or purpose an old router to act as one if you have one) for the 2.4GHz. You would probably have to go to the trouble of changing the SSID used by  your cameras etc. to the SSID for the AP or change the SSID on your SH2 and your mobile devices.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I thought because the phone only sees one ssid, i thought it was up to the router to then  supply the speed?? Obviously, you're saying that's not the case so do you know any way I can get my device to pick up on the 5ghz more often then? Refreshing its signal search or whatever the techinal term is? Just it is not selecting the 5 ghz anywhere near as much as it should 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Have you tried:

Telling the phones to forget the network

Temporarily  disabling the 2.4GHz carrier

Telling the phones to connect again

Re-enable the 2.4 GHz carrier and check that the phones remain connected to the 5GHz carrier

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi @Pg09 

What happens if you simply flick off WiFi on your phone and back on again.

Found this, so you could try fixing the channel (take off Smart Channel) for all the channel choices.

The  issue is caused by the channel number which is being used by your router for the 5Ghz band. All of my other android devices and windows ones too see and are able to connect to my wifi's5 Ghz network Samsung'sS20 phones  seem to be limited  as to which channels they can see and use. There are numerous people globally having this issue so can only hope that a fix ( patch) for the Wi-Fi connection stack will be rolled out.  Till then the only way to  view and connect to  home 5 Ghz Wi-Fi is to  change the channel  for the 5Ghz band on your routers. ive tested and made the change and now my S20 FE 5G sees and connects automatically to the5GHz Wi-Fi network

Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the reply but not massively tech savvy so hopefully you can explain a little better. It will sometimes pick up the 5ghz as when I have done speed tests I have been getting 400mb plus but then other times I am getting 70-80mbps.

I can flick the WiFi on and off but don't want to keep doing that everytime I move into another room.

If I were to change the 5ghz chanel from smart to a number, is there a way to then do something on the phone which will make it connect to the 5ghz more reliabily? 

I forgot to mention too that bt gave me 2 discs which I don't really want to use but if it would make a difference I could give them a go

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@Pg09wrote:

Thanks for the reply but not massively tech savvy so hopefully you can explain a little better. It will sometimes pick up the 5ghz as when I have done speed tests I have been getting 400mb plus but then other times I am getting 70-80mbps.

I can flick the WiFi on and off but don't want to keep doing that everytime I move into another room.

You won't have to. Browse to the hub manager at 192.168.1.254, preferably from a laptop or desktop as it makes it easier, Click on Advanced settings, Enter the hubs Admin password and click Wireless on the following screen.
Make the suggested changes and (importantly!) click on Save. The hub will now remember those settings, if you still have problems then there is something else wrong.

If I were to change the 5ghz chanel from smart to a number, is there a way to then do something on the phone which will make it connect to the 5ghz more reliabily? 

Nothing you need to do, the phone should do it automatically without any intervention from the user

I forgot to mention too that bt gave me 2 discs which I don't really want to use but if it would make a difference I could give them a go

If the Wi-Fi signal is weak where you want to use your devices then you should try it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Sorry for my mis understanding but what chanel are you m suggesting that I change it to and how will that get me a more consistent 5ghz connection?. As I said, my phone will connect to it when it feels like it but I am looking for ways to make it connect to it a more and a lot more and a lot more consistently 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

You only have a choice of 40, 44 or 48, ignore 36 like the plague especially if you have Sky Q.

I understand what you're trying to achieve but please don't ask for promises or guarantees - I have none to give, only advice which may or may not work and you won't know which until you try it.

PS. Don't be afraid of breaking anything, that is most unlikely

0 Ratings