cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Smart Hub 2 only giving 100 mbps on ethernet

Go to solution

Hello there. I've just got my full fibre 900 packaged installed and activated today. Speeds are fine on wifi around 700mbps

On my pc it's capped at 100mbps. I am using a cat 7 cable and have set the network adapter from auto negotiation to 2.5gbps. I have also tried using all the ports available on the smart hub 2 and my pc. Network drivers are the latest version and I've reset the hub and restarted my pc multiple times to see if that would help. Nothing has worked. How can I resolve this issue?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart Hub 2 only giving 100 mbps on ethernet

Go to solution

Is your PC connected straight to your hub or via a switch?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

is that connection speed or download speed  check here  fast.com

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

fast.com showed a download speed of 92mbps on my pc as expected 😞

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Apologies for the late reply on this. Yes the pc is connected straight to the hub with the cat 7 cable

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@MohammadA1i 

If your PC network card is only showing a physical connection of 100mbs, it will probably be an issue with auto-negotiation, and slight temperature changes can cause timing differences and corrupt the Ethernet Link Pulse. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

If you fit an Ethernet switch between a LAN port on the home hub, and the LAN port on your computer, the problem should stop, as the switch will match the two rates.

Like this one https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/litewave-switch/ls1005g/

About £9.50

You would only use two of the ports, and it would give three extra ones if you needed them.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. So what you're saying is I will need to connect a cable going from the hub to the switch and then connect another cable going from the switch to my pc. Is that correct?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Yes, that is correct.

This issue has been reported before, and an Ethernet switch has cured the problem. Ethernet switches are capable of matching different speeds and compensating for timing differences, as they have internal buffers.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Turns out it was actually the cable that was the issue. Using the ethernet switch didn't help so I went ahead and ordered another cable, a round cat 6 cable this time as lots of people on other forums suggested not to buy flat cables or cat 7/8 cables due to them having issues with providing gigabit speeds. Regardless thanks for the help. It was much appreciated 😁

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

The flat cables may not have been fully wired, which is needed for Gigabit speeds. Depending on where you bought the Ethernet switch, you may be able to get a refund. Either that, keep it just in case you need more Ethernet ports in the future.