cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Smart Hub 2 very slow

Go to solution

Had BT smart hub 2 (not FTTP) for around 6 months with decent/expected speeds.
Two weeks ago, connections became very poor with Netflix/Youtube continually pausing every 2 or 3 minutes. Mobile phones hardly connecting at all and when they do, it takes a few minutes to load a page. Impossible to use apps etc without switching wifi off.

When I log into my BT account and run the troubleshooter, it  says
There may be a fault with your home connection

To improve your connection, we need to run some checks and restart your Hub. It'll take two to five minutes and you'll briefly lose your internet connection. Once the checks are complete, there is a check mark against results, but no results are given.

I also tested the broadband without logging in and these results were displayed:

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 16.78 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20-27.76 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 27.76 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 27.76 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 6.69 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 10 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 10 Mbps
Summary Advanced Performance Test -
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required. This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault. Note:An error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the upstream test is acceptable for you service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information. 

If anyone has any ideas or can help, I will be grateful

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Smart Hub 2 very slow

Go to solution

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser)  HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Is this the info you need:

Product name
BT Smart Hub 2
Serial number
1.83E+09
Fireware version
v0.27.07.07281-BT (Wed Jul 28 12:06:02 2021)
Board version
R01
GUI version
1.74 12_11_2020
DSL uptime
0 days 0 Hours 24 Mins 20 Secs
Data rate
7.2 Mbps / 30.0 Mbps
Maximum Data rate
7.2 Mbps / 33.0 Mbps
Noise margin
6.1/6.5
Line attenuation
11.0/25.5
Signal attenuation
11.0/28.5
VLAN id
Upstream error control
Off
Downstream error control
Off
Data sent / received
19.1 MB Uploaded / 975.9 MB Downloaded
Broadband username
bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-Fi
Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name
BT-7QA23W
2.4 GHz wireless channel
Channel: 11
5 GHz wireless network name
BT-7QA23W
5 GHz wireless channel
Channel: 44
Wireless Security
WPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless mode
Mode 1
Firewall
On
MAC address
4C:1B:86:76:41:6C
Software variant
-
Boot loader
0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

bt log 2a.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

connection time is only 24mins was that hub dropping connection or manual reset?

your connection speed is 30mb which is right at bottom end of your expected speed range and attainable max is on 33mb

what about quiet line test?

have you tried using test socket to see if that helps?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for your replies.
1/ connection time is only 24mins was that hub dropping connection or manual reset? - Manual reset after running BT troubleshooter
2/what about quiet line test? have you tried using test socket to see if that helps? We do not have a landline phone, but will borrow one tonight so I can do the test

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @gazpacho and thanks for posting.

Please let us know how the quiet line test goes. I'll be happy to step in if needed.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Sorry for the delay doing the quiet line test. We dont have a landline phone, so had to borrow one.

I have completed the quiet line test with a corded phone. There was no noise at all after selecting option 2 on the 17070 number

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @gazpacho thanks for getting back to us, I'll send you a private message so you can send over your details and we'll run a few checks to see if any improvement can be made.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @gazpacho, thanks for updating me via PM and good news that with the replacement hub your connection is much better.

cheers

John

0 Ratings