cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Smart Hub 2 vs Plusnet Router...........

Hi @KevG000 and thanks for posting.

I'd be very interested to know how you get this resolved so please keep us in the loop. Thanks all for you input so far.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

No problem David
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

@KevG000  I know you are trying to set the Plusnet up as a wireless access point but this is something I did for a friend, a while back, and you might be interested.  It’s setting the SH2 up as a wireless access point but the Plusnet will be essentially the same:

Mostly, the default settings are OK.  The exceptions are as follows:

•  Home > Advanced settings>My Network > IPv4 configuration and set the IP address and subnet mask to an address in your network but outside of what the DHCP on your router is setting.  For example, if your router is another SH2 then 192.168.1.10 will do.  The subnet mask also needs to match the rest of your network, 255.255.255.0 in the above example.

You then need to turn off the DHCP in this SH2.  (A word of caution here.  DHCP tends to be one of those things that varies between vendors and I’ve found the SH2 to be flakier than most.  The DHCP range here needs to be the same as you’ve just set, that is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for the above example.  I’ve found that if the range set disagrees with the address, then when you turn off DHCP it just reverts your settings to the defaults without reporting an error…leaving you scratching your head as to why it’s not working).  Don’t forget to save the setting before you leave the page.

• Home > Advanced settings > My Network > IPv6 configuration.  Turn off IPv6 allocation.  Again, save the settings.
  • Home > Advanced settings > Advanced wireless.  Pretty self-explanatory really.  Set the Network name (SSID), Security password (encryption key) etc. you want, save the settings and that’s it.  If you are using more than one wireless access point, they want to be on the same SSID but different channels.  (1, 6 or 11 are best for 2.4GHz).

You connect it via one of the LAN ports, (not the DSL or WAN port).

You’ll find it sits there flashing purple at you, (even if you tun off the hub lights).  Nothing you can do about that as it is reporting the error condition that it’s not connected directly to the internet and that overrides the ‘turn off lights’ setting.

Message 14 of 20

I’m not sure why (given its poor wireless performance and issues) you would want to turn a SH2 into a wireless point unless you happened to have a spare doing nothing and had nothing to lose?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

An update for you on our recent 9th November FTTP supply from BT.

The problem has now finally been resolved. After numerous calls to and from BT, supply of a replacement Smart Hub 2 and 3 visits from Openreach engineers the problem was eventually escalated to a complaint.

BT recognised there had been an intermittent problem with the fibre connection of the boundary supply outside of the home and as such have issued a BT Reward card as recompense. With regard to the considerable depreciation of the wi-fi speed in the home, after having eventually escalated the problem to a complaint and having discussed the situation (yet again) with the BT complaints person they agreed to supply a wi-fi disc. Other BT personnel I had spoken with could not sanction the supply.

Installation of the disc has succeeded in increasing the wi-fi speed from what was an initial speed range between 3Mb to 20 Mb to a speed range of 40Mb to 60Mb with the wi-fi disc installed; which is entirely acceptable.

Many thanks for everyone's help, input and information during this period. It is appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

I also gave up using the WiFi from my SH2. Instead, I installed 3 BT WholeHome discs which provide an independent and much stronger WiFi signal all around my house. The speed from these discs is pretty much the same as that obtained direct from the ethernet ports on the SH2
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

The signal from the SH2 is woeful and certainly not acceptable without install of the discs. A number of local neighbours to where I am have reported exactly the same and have had to install the discs
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

The SH2 is trash and the weekest link in the chain with BT's attempt to deliver FTTP.

It suffers random reboots and/or crashes in my experience every 2-4 weeks to probably mask poor software / memory leaks.

If you have Digital Voice you're stuck with that SH2 junk and a 24 month contract.

If you dont have Digital Voice - swap it out for a non-BT router.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Yes. totally agree. Mine was a migration move from Plusnet as we had recently had fibre installed but Plusnet could not offer Digital voice, they offered the migration to BT......so you're spot on, 24 month contract with their BT's kit
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

@spileYep, you got it in one.  Truth is, I have a fully wired network and only use the wireless to update the phone etc. and only the 5GHz, at that.  Long story how I come by a second SH2, but it's real function is as a spare for DV.  It only plays WAP in its spare time.  I will say though that I think you are being a little hash.  I find it does a pretty reasonable job, (bearing in mind Wi-Fi is naff at the best of times).

0 Ratings