cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Smart hub2 router to BT disc via fibre media converters

Go to solution

I’m trying to connect a BT Disc to my smart hub 2 via a fibre cable, the disc works when in WiFi range and if I connect via cat6 direct in the back of it, so I know it’s setup correctly. 
I’ve run a fibre cable down the garden and have 2 media converters at each end.

It’s wired out of the router cat6 into media converter, down the fibre and at the remote end back to a media converter and cat6 into the BT disc, it just lights up as red flashing and no joy.

ive tried putting switches in place of the media converters and still the same, I’m getting link lights on the switches so I know the cabling is correct.

is there a security layer built into the BT Disc that’s a hidden VLAN that needs a certain type of device to send this data, I’m at a loss with this setup.

has anyone resolved this problem with other kit or the BT kit.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Smart hub2 router to BT disc via fibre media converters

Go to solution

That seems all very flash and unnecessary, why not just run a cat6 all the way? is it beyond the 100m limit.

You lost me when you mentioned replacing the media converters with switches, the SH2 is not designed to have laser inputs and outputs?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

The run is over 150m down garden, think I found the issue, was running LX media converters (2nd hand and we’re given to me) over MM fibre, these needs to have mode conditioning patch cords at the TX ends of the cords, hence the issue with the media converters and the switch i used is 2nd hand which was managed to an office network, hence why link lights came up but traffic was blocked, I’m ordering some SX media converters to hopefully resolve the issue,  I’ve also converted the old Hub6 to be a AP rather than a repeater as a backup plan if the disc still doesn’t play ball.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Have you thought about using the HH6 as an ethernet extender to give you the extra range?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

The plan is to use the disc at the building that’s 150m away and possibly use the HH6 that’s a further 50m away from the house via UTP.it’s an evolving design.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Problem has been resolved.

I configured a HH5 to become a AP point, media converters at both ends and it all came up, looks like you can’t use a BT Disc as a AP point if not in WiFi range, though further testing needed to conclude this.

0 Ratings