cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Smart lights, plugs etc will not recognise wifi

I've just moved house, and gone from Virgin to BT. I had an extensive smart home setup at my previous place, but am unable to get any of my smart bulbs, power strips or plugs to recognise the new BT network. I've invested a lot in this, and it's driving me nuts! Can anyone help? The details are as follows:

I have smart devices using TPlink Kasa, Smart life, plusminus and Tuya apps on my android phone. I also have a harmony smart hub and a hub controlling my window blinds. All worked perfectly before with Virgin.

Nothing is recognising the BT wifi signal in any of the apps.

I currently have the SH2 hub, plus a deco mesh system acting as an access point. Internet is stable on all devices. 

I have tried to install 2 ways: 2.4ghz only on the hub with deco switched off; 2.4ghz on deco with hub wifi switched off; 2.4ghz enabled on both deco and hub. Plus/minus gives a 'something wrong with wifi' message (the signal is strong on phone and hub). TPLink's Kasa sporadically gets halfway there then bombs out. Smart life just bombs full stop. 

I have reset the devices to factory condition, but still no joy.  I am starting to tear my hair out! Alexa is working fine, plus all other wifi devices. Anything smart home simply isn't getting past the starting post. 

Please can anyone help? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Smart lights, plugs etc will not recognise wifi

Have you checked the Wireless Mode setting (Wireless

Some appliances require this to be set to Mode 1 in order to connect.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

have tried all modes - 1, 2 and 3.  None seems to make any difference. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

If it helps, plusminus is giving the error message 'invalid client: no access' whatever that means. I am assuming the same type of error is responsible for all the other apps not being able to connect either. Is this a BT thing? If so, how do I enable permissions? I feel i really shouldn't have to be doing this if my home wifi is working perfectly - which it seems to be with all my computers/TVs/laptops. It's just apps on my phone that seem to be affected.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I don't have any of the devices you have mentioned so can not confirm this but is it possible that the apps settings have the Virgin network stored and need them purged and the BT setting used instead.

Message 6 of 9

Yes, I think this might have been the case with two out of the three apps. I uninstalled all of them, purged the system and reinstalled, and now plus/minus and smart life are playing ball. However, Kasa is stubbornly refusing to recognise anything - even with the correct network details. I've reluctantly ditched the TPLink bulbs and plugs and am replacing them with other brands that work with the other apps. A pain, but I've come to the conclusion that it's Kasa rather than the BT hub that is the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion - it did the trick (mostly!)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

This is a pure guess but here goes

The Harmony hub is, I believe, a zigbee device, I' m wondering if the factory resets have broken the link between the devices and the hubs. 

See this link if you are not familiar with Zigbee.

What is Zigbee Smart Home Hub? – eero Help Center

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Might be stating the obvious but are you connecting to the correct SSID on the back of the SH2 not the generic BTWiFI SSID etc?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Yes - right SSID etc - as I said, all the other apps are now working. It's just Kasa that is causing the problem. I'm wondering if Kasa is causing difficulties for others as well - maybe it isn't just me with this particular app.

0 Ratings