cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

SmartHub MyNetwork: unknown device IPv6 only

Hello, 

I'm looking at the My Network section of my BT Smart Hub 2 (latest firmware v0.33.00.12274-BT).

As expected there are a number of devices listed as "unknown_XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX", those are iOS devices using private MAC addresses, all good there.

One of those unknown devices however is listed as active with a blue icon but its details page has the remark: "This device either does not support or is not configured for IPv4 addressing."

Essentially, this device is still listed as an actively connected device but without an IPv4 address assigned; only a self-assigned IPv6 address shows for this device.

Checking all iOS devices at home, none shows a private MAC address corresponding to that entry.

I suspect I might have come across a bug of the Smart Hub 2 firmware, where an old entry remains alive in the list of connected devices even though the device itself disconnected long ago and afterwards started using a different private MAC address.

Posting here to mention the potential bug and for any feedback about what kind of device could result in an unknown device entry without any IPv4 assignement and only with a self-assigned IPv6.

Thanks.  

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: SmartHub MyNetwork: unknown device IPv6 only

A physical check on the MAC of each device won't tell you a lot if you have devices (such as iOS devices) using MAC randomisation.

You could draw up a list of likely candidates and turn wi-fi off on each device then wait and see if it eventually drops off the hub manager but I suspect it will be a laborious and pointless process to try and identify the actual device as it probably won't use the same address again

0 Ratings