cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 35

Solid Orange Light - Engineer coming out Wednesday but my work relies on internet

Hi there, 

I have just recently moved into my apartment with my partner and both our jobs need internet to be working at home. Luckily our workplaces have understood and are giving us time but this is just unacceptable in my opinion. 

moved in, set up the internet and I’m well aware of technology and have set it up following the instructions exact and it’s just stuck on a solid orange light. 

Now what really annoys me is that all the guides and everything else, says to just open a web browser on my device and it will open a setup wizard. Well guess what, it doesn’t and it’s really frustrating to why these guides say that but it doesn’t work. 

I’ve tried typing in the 192.XXX.X.XX4 number and it doesn’t work. I’m trying all sorts before the engineer comes out and I’m just stuck now. 

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35

Re: Solid Orange Light - Engineer coming out Wednesday but my work relies on internet

@Nathan_Johnson 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Assuming you are a BT Retail Customer, what date has BT Retail given for service activation?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 35

Re: Solid Orange Light - Engineer coming out Wednesday but my work relies on internet

You should be able to connect to the hub by LAN but you're going nowhere if the light on the front is solid orange and there's nothing you can do, that require Openreach attention.

What date where you given to go live

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 35

Are you using company laptop perhaps that tries forces a VPN connection and/or firewall that might block local range IP addresses?

Maybe try a mobile phone via the hubs wifi connection and see if you can access the configuration pages that way? typically broswe to http://192.168.1.254/ and using the user/pass on the card at the rear of the router.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 35

Service should have started on the night that I moved in which is the 31st of January at 23:59 it said on text.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 35

They are sending a BT engineer out? Does this mean that they won’t be able to do anything with it and I’ll have to contact openreach or is that what is going to happen on Wednesday? 

just really frustrating when you’re paying for a service and it should be working without hassle. I’ve done nothing wrong, followed the guide and it’s not working.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 35

Was originally using company laptop but then went on my personal desktop and it’s not working on that either. Doesn’t open no wizard as it says it would do on the guide. 

to be fair a lot of the guide instructions seem to be quite outdated as it’s a different box to what it used to look like a few years ago in the videos. It definitely needs to be updated if there is no wizard. I’ve tried typing that in as the guide says something about smart setup but there’s no option for that anymore 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 35

What service have you signed up to, which router do you have & how is it connected?

Separately, even with no Inernet connection, you should be able to open the Hub's web interface at 192.168.1.254 (not sure why you obscured that). If you can't, you either have a faulty Hub or you have no network connection to it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 35

Assuming that everything has been connected up properly then there's nothing you personally can do and probably very little a BT engineer can do except check the ONT.

As can be seen from What do the lights on my BT Hub mean? | BT Help the orange light means that the hub is working but not connected to the internet

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 35

So what should I do? Contact openreach? 

0 Ratings