cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Swapping out Smart Hub 2 for Asus router

Go to solution

Hello BT Hive,

I'm looking for recommendations and/or advice.

I want to swap my BT SH2 for an Asus router (specifically the RT-AX58U) - mainly for the VPN server feature but also the general security features that significantly out-do the SH2.

I have a FTTC connection as FTTP isn't available in my area yet. When it is, I will be looking to upgrade and I'm using DV for the landline.

I've seen various posts relating to keeping the SH2 as its needed for DV but doing that either means losing out on some or most of the features the Asus router provides and others recommending using the Huawei HG612 modem.

In addition to any advice I'm after some idea of what features I would be losing out on if I keep the SH2 connected, whether DV can be used via the HG612 modem or if I should just start hounding BT/Openreach to hurry up and get Full Fibre in my area?

LLAP 🖖🏾

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Swapping out Smart Hub 2 for Asus router

Go to solution

First of all, Asus RTxxxx models are just routers so won't work on fttc without a separate modem.

Secondly, if you want Digital Voice, you have to have the BT smart hub 2 as the first device connected to line.

Even if you get fttp, you will still need to use the sh2 if you want Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response. Wow, BT really have us by the short and curlys don't they?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Digital Voice is a more secure  proprietary version of VoIP and hence requires the use of the SH2 to implement it.

You can, of course, have broadband only from BT and use a third party VoIP provider with a different modem/router.

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I don't suppose you know or have any idea of the features you'd lose out on connecting the Asus router through the SH2 and turning off the wifi?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

What features do you require?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Mainly VPN server but also WPA3, and Target Wake Time

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

If you are not bothered about double natting, just connect the Asus WAN port to one of the Hub's LAN ports.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Sounds good to me, thanks for the advice and guidance

0 Ratings