cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

TP Link Deco x20 with smart hub 2 - router mode

Hi, 

I have BT Fibre 2 (FTTC) with a smart hub 2. I want to purchase tp link deco X20 devices but want the decos to run in router mode. This way, I get the full functionality of the decos which includes: web filtering, parental controls etc. These extras are really important and I don't see why I would purchase something to run in access point mode as I won't benefit from all the features I am paying for.

That being said, to run the decos in router mode, TP link advise switching the ISP router to bridge mode. This has been covered countless times in this forum and there is no way to convert smart hub 2 to bridge mode. What I'm not seeing in these forums is a direct answer to the core questions below:

1. If I purchase the decos and run them in routing mode, I plan to disable WiFi on both bands in the smart hub. The main deco will be hard-wired into the smart hub. The other 2 units will be connected using wireless backhaul. I understand this might potentially cause issues with double NAT and routing, but is there anyone out there who is successfully running Decos in router mode with smart hub 2 (with WiFi disabled on the smart hub)? Have you experienced any issues? Does it work as expected? Can someone provide some concrete opinions on this topic, besides it "might introduce double NAT" and other routing issues.

2. If smart hub 2 simply does not work with Decos in routing mode, which cheap and cheerful modem can I buy that will work with BT fibre 2 FTTC? I get up to 74Mbs download speeds. 

Ideally I don't want to spend any extra money on a modem/new router.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: TP Link Deco x20 with smart hub 2 - router mode

There is no doubt about it. It will introduce double NAT, however, unless you are an avid gamer that in itself isn't really a problem.

There is no reason why 2 routers can't be cascaded.

Huawei HG612 modems are cheap on Ebay if you wish to go the separate modem route.

Message 3 of 12

Thanks interesting. I'm not a gamer so not concerned about that fact. But I do have daily teams video calls and use various VPN softwares to connect to remote work systems. My worry is that VPN connectivity could potentially be affected. Do you know if I should be worried about that?

Message 4 of 12

That I'm not sure about, in theory it shouldn't be a problem, but theory and practice don't always agree.

Message 5 of 12

I've done extensive research on this topic. Also thank you to licquorice for the modem suggestion. For anyone who is in the same situation the following is the best solution and it avoids the double NAT issue:

1. Purchase a 2nd hand Huawei modem hg612. 

2. Remove the BT Smart Hub 2 and plug your DSL cable directly into the modem. 

3. Connect the main deco unit to the modem via ethernet cable. 

4. Run the deco in router mode to get the full functionality of the product. 

Message 6 of 12

Hi syswiz great thanks, so this guide is for FTTC, which I currently have.

At some point in the near future I may want to get FTTP as that is in the area, would these still work, I guess I would again need to ditch the BT router as I am a gamer,  what modem would I need to work with BT FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

You don't need a modem with FTTP, the ONT is the modem.

Message 8 of 12

no separate modem required for FTTP as openreach ONT is the modem and you can connect direct to that

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 12

Ah great thanks, Sorry what is ONT?

So if and when I do get FTTP I can just use the Deco x20

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Hi I have tried to clcik teh tumbs up but it says "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested."
0 Ratings