cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

TP-Link Seamless roaming

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 and a TP-Link EAP225  ceiling mounted Wi-Fi  access point.

The sales person gave me the impression the TP-Link EAP was suitable for seamless roaming but now I have the TP-Link attached to the ceiling and have run the cables in and  tried to set it up it doesn't seem to have this function.

It only has seamless roaming (fast roaming)  with other TP-Link access points.

Am I correct and if so is there a work around please as it feels like I have gone to a lot of work for nothing ?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: TP-Link Seamless roaming

Most of us would use a mesh  rather than this.  The BT version is their Complete Wifi but many, including me, use TP-Link Deco M5s or others in the range.  But you have not made clear what your circumstances are nor what you are trying to do.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@chinup1 

It will not form a mesh with the BT Smart Hub 2. The only devices that work with the Smart Hub 2, are the BT Complete Wi-Fi discs (Black).

As you have discovered, the TP-Link EAP225 only works with TP Link products.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

You could bodge it to some extent by setting the WIFI details SSID, Password and Security Type, on the Hub to the exact same as the TP Links, or set the TP Links to the same as BT.

It wouldnt work in harmony with the hub like a system designed to work as one but it would to some extent allow devices to roam without having to change WIFI network, which would result in 'betterer' roaming.

If you want Seamless roaming among a WIFI network and you have bought TP Link AP's then just buy more TP Link AP's to work together and give you the coverage you require, then just switch off the WIFI on the BT Hub.

As you have run 'cables' to the TP Link I am assuming you mean ethernet is there so you are not using MESH, am I understanding right that you have your BT Hub WIFI in one place as the main router and the TP Link in the ceiling somewhere else hooked back to the BT Hub via ethernet?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

If a device has all the network names and passwords stored, it is no different moving between discrete nodes with the same SSID or different, the device still has to drop connection and re-establish with the next node. Only a true mesh gives seamless roaming.

Message 6 of 9

@naylor2006 

A bodge would mean that the roaming device would still have to drop which ever signal it was connected to in order to get onto the next signal and it might only do that when the signal was so weak that it dropped it in favour of the stronger signal . All it would mean is that the user would not have to manually do it.

The user would also be unable to establish which signal their device was connected to so may be unaware if they are on a weak or strong signal until needing to use it.

It may better than nothing but a proper mesh is the best.

EDIT. Post crossed with above.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I didn’t realise we were using ‘Seamless Roaming’ as a technical term.

Most people just want to be able to roam between AP’s and to do which you need to tune the radios on your devices, so ultimately you’ll need to get devices working within the management system and control the overlap between coverage. Won’t be able to do that with the BT Hub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Seamless roaming is a technical term.

As already stated, moving between nodes that are not a mesh is not seamless roaming and matters not if the nodes have the same name and password or different. As long as the network names and passwords are stored on the device, the handover will be the same.

Message 9 of 9

Sorry, I’m actually wondering mostly aside from the feature of seamless roaming what isn’t working, IE what are they trying to achieve.

0 Ratings