cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

TP-Link router has made internet even more slower

We have been stuck with a bt home hub 4 for about 8 years.. I finally decided to 'upgrade' to a TP-Link wifi 6 router based on some of the threads I found from this community from google. I connect my computer via ethernet powerline and only really achieved 3-5 mbps when downloading games off steam. Although my connection is slow it still played 1080p youtube videos and was a somewhat stable connection.

It's now down to under 1mbps with the TP-Link router. I also bought a TP-Link wifi adapter which kept disconnecting and I ended up returning it as it is useless. I tried to get support from TP-Link but they were not helpful. I have tired TP-Link products in the past such as powerline and wifi adapters and they have all been rubbish, I just assumed that a router would have improved the connection. It has actually made every device in the house connection worse and some of them can't even connect. My desktop can only play 720p videos on youtube now.

I have FTTP.

Is there a better router anyone can recommend than a TP-Link product or should I just buy a cheap BT Smart home hub 2 off ebay to see if staying with BT product helps? My main goal is to be actually able to download steam games at more than 1mbps, as it takes 2-3 days of downloading before I can actually play it.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: TP-Link router has made internet even more slower

Are you sure you have FTTP? If so you should already have received a Smart Hub 2.

It sounds like there is something wrong with your powerline adaptors. Try connecting by ethernet cable instead.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Yes, I have the open reach modem white box which they drilled into the wall. I am using netgear 1000 mbps powerline adapters. Connecting via ethernet way actually the same speed as the powerline adapters.

Just did a speed test and got

Download Mbps
Upload Mbps
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

That isn't FTTP, it is a copper modem.

Do you have a landline and a phone? If so do you get dial tone? I suspect you have a line fault.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Well that's annoying. I just googled FTTP and it came up with the same white box I have. Yes the phone as a dialtone. I'm not sure why we have been wasting our money on this slow internet for all these years..
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

If you go to this page, what does it say your broadband package is?  If you have FTTP it should say something like

Full Fibre 900 with BT Halo 3+

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Can you post a photo of your 'white box' please?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

That is not FTTP. It is a copper modem.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

So is there a better router to go for ? Would the smart hub 2 be better?
0 Ratings