cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

The dreaded IPC-6023 using Google Wifi

I had FTTP 500/73 installed last week and today I received my Youview box .

I excitedly set it up and since then I've spent several hours being frustrated and several hours browsing to find out my Google Wifi mesh network doesn't seem to be currently compatible with BT IPTV requirements?

I've tried all the suggestions I can find to get a native solution but nothing works and with 5 'mesh pucks' around my home I'm loathe to remove all that 'coverage' just to use 1 SmartHub2....especially as my home is also pretty 'smart' and Google Assistant/Nest/Smartthings is all well pretty integrated.

So, at the moment I'm either :- cancelling my BT TV and going back to Sky or (more probably) digging a bit deeper and trying to get a 'not too clunky' workaround....Best/easiest option so far seems to be use the supplied SmartHub2 in bridge mode and let it handle the modem/VLAN functionality then connect my Google primary to a LAN port and continue to use the pucks for Wifi and Ethernet..

Long story short HOW??? Is it just a case of connecting the Samrthub WAN port to the ONT and then turning off 2.4 & 5Ghz wifi and disabling DHCP in the Smarthub admin page before connecting the Google primary to an ethernet port ...or is there something else I need to do like put the Youview box on a direct wired connection to the SmartHub2 and then configure it to be in a DMZ off the network? All options are available as I can patch various CAT5 structured cabling together to make any necessary 'runs'

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: The dreaded IPC-6023 using Google Wifi

Bump
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Connect the SH2 to the ONT as normal. Connect the YouView box to one of the LAN ports on the SH2.
Confirm YouView IP channels work ok.

Assuming everything is good at this point then you can turn off WiFi on the SH2 in favour of using the Google WiFi, but make sure you turn off DHCP on the Google WiFi settings - let the SH2 continue to manage that. You don't need to do anything with DMZ.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

@DarrenDev

Thanks for the reply

The Youview box does work ok if connected to the SH2 so putting the SH2 straight after the ONT and upstream of my Google primary puck is the initial plan with both the Youview main box and mini box both connected directly to the SH....now the wrinkle....

Is there any way to let the SH2 assign IPs to the 2 Boxes and just my Google Primary and then let the Google primary be DHCP master for WiFi AND everything that's wired downstream? I've got something like 45 clients some with static IPs and it seems easier to leave to rest of a fully functioning network alone?

Eg could I just change the login protocol in the Google primary from PPPoE to DHCP and let it get and use and share an IP from the SH2?

I don't want to end up with Double NAT issues if I can help it that will affect eg PS5 multiplayer

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

You basically have 2 choices, you either have double Nat or just one DHCP server. You can't have 2 DHCP servers without double natting. If the static IP addresses are true static addresses, i.e they have been set on the device itself, it doesn't matter which device has the DHCP server as they won't be requesting addresses anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

If you put the Google WiFi into DHCP mode but then put it into the SH2 DMZ, that should resolve the double NAT issue. You can leave both DHCP servers active in that situation, as they'll be seen as separate networks.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

@DarrenDev 

That sounds like plan A 👍🏻

The only compromise is I'll either have to hand over the CAT5 I had running to the loft for my drum kit and Mac mini to the youview mini box. Or fit an 8W switch so I can pick up the Mac Mini and Youview mini box too which means the Mac mini either gets to keep an ethernet connection but on a different network via the switch to the SH2 or I move one of my Google pucks to the loft and mesh the Mac mini onto the Google WiFi to keep it with everything else

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

That obviously depends on whether you need anything to be accessible on the LAN. e.g. a NAS or media server, or if you want to cast music from your Mac to the pucks.
Personally, I'd go all-in on the Google Wifi, and just keep the BT TV box on the outside doing its own thing. Much simpler.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

@DarrenDev wrote:
If you put the Google WiFi into DHCP mode but then put it into the SH2 DMZ, that should resolve the double NAT issue. You can leave both DHCP servers active in that situation, as they'll be seen as separate networks.

As they will be in separate networks, surely you will still be double natting, can't see how you can avoid it.

Public IP > private IP n/w1 > private IP n/w2

Putting the Google Wifi in the SH2 DMZ just obviates the need to forward every port on the SH2 surely.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

By putting the Google WiFi router into the SH2 DMZ, it becomes directly addressable by the public IP.
0 Ratings