cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Thinking about upgrading my router.

Hey guys, As the title says i've been doing some research about upgrading from the SH2 and buying a ASUS RT-AX86U.

Would i see any benefits besides wifi speed increase? my current package is bt full fibre 900 & i'm currently getting 930mbps download and 110mbps upload with the wifi being somewhere between 300-500 download via the SH2 wifi & on wired my ping is very good at a solid 7-10ping.

Would i see any benefits besides wifi? and are they easy to setup? Sorry for the long winded question,

Thanks!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinking about upgrading my router.

If you want to achieve those higher speeds it's best to go wired rather than wireless

Message 3 of 11

Yeah i am mainly using wired, but i'm wondering will i see any improvements on anything else by upgrading the router? or is it just the improvement on wifi? Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

It all depends on what you are wanting to get out of your networking equipment? As an example I use ubiquiti for the ease of it's scalability and management of the equipment across different locations.

If you into gaming then some have more advanced features to prioritise packets.

That said if you are on Digital Voice you will need to continue to use the smart hub 2 as the primary router.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

My main use is for gaming, I currently do not use Digital Voice.

So would i need to keep the SH2 connected? or just connect the new one to the ONT and it will act as the SH2?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

If you don't use Digital Voice then yes you can completely remove the BT Smart Hub 2 and connect the Asus router's WAN (if one or may need to configure one of the ports to act like one) to the ONT LAN port and configure the router to authenticate the Internet connection with PPPoE.

Message 7 of 11

Sorry for the long time for response, Would the setup be difficult or pretty straight forward? Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I doubt that you will see any difference (nothing at all speed wise on wired connection) if the asus router is free try it, but if it was me I would not be spending any money.

Basically speed is not going to change and if you have no other issues then you will be wasting your money

Message 9 of 11

I have a friend who got two by accident and is offering me it for £50 so i was just wondering if i would see better latency or any hidden benefits and the wifi 6 would be a good addition even though 95% of my devices are hard wired.

Might just stick with the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

WiFi 6 may be quicker if your devices support it, but out of curiosity what do you need more than 100mbps on a wifi device?

I download 200Gb files but I do that on my NAS which is hardwired. my wifi devices just play games, stream movies and surf, for which 100mbps is tons 

0 Ratings