cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Third party modrm

Go to solution

Hello.  I have just set up a hardware firewall because of the current concerns about cybersecurity; I have tried to re-use my Draytek Vigor 120 modem that I used successfully with a third party router when I had a previous broadband supplier.  With BT I have successfully used both a Smart Hub 2 and a Draytek 2860ac router, but I cannot get a connection, either via the router or the new firewall, or indeed direct to laptop, using the Vigor 120 modem and the BT login settings.  I have seen comments and have tried 0/35 as well as the expected 0/38;  I have tried LLC instead of VCMux; I have tried homehub@btbroadband.com as well as bthomehub@btbroadband.com, and no Internet connection, just 628 error. Any ideas?  Are there any other usernames/passwords to try?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks very much,

Mark

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Third party modrm

Go to solution

Might help if you said what broadband service you have.

I doubt your hardware firewall will be any more secure than the BT hub firewall in any case, but your choice.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Apologies - I assumed that the nature of the forum and the fact that I had referred to bthomehub@btbroadband.com had defined the service, but perhaps not.  It's the standard copper bt broadband service.  I'm almost certainly not clever enough to configure my firewall to be any more secure than the BT Home Hub, but what it does do that as far as I know I can't do with the HomeHub firewall setup is show me a log of all activity and blocked incoming traffic. 

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Sorry, but you need to be specific. Is it standard ADSL, VDSL or G.Fast, all delivered by copper to the house but different configuration required.

If ADSL, then you need to configure the router as PPPoA and vci/vpi 0/38 , if VDSL it needs to be PPPoE. If G.fast your modem won't work. All use the same username and password.

The hub 2 logs also show any b traffic blocked by its firewall.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Apologies.  Standard ADSL. The modem is the PPPoA/PPPoE bridge, using those settings, the router (firewall) is set up to accept PPPoE, and even when I just plug the modem straight into the laptop and set up the WAN miniport in Windows it still doesn't work.  My source of confusion is that it worked fine when I had a different broadband provider, but not BT, although of course with the same settings BT works fine with either the SH2 or a third party ADSL router...  I'll take the modem to the office and see how it goes with the broadband provider I use there. 

Thanks again for your help. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Re: Third party modem

Go to solution

Feeling very foolish indeed and eating lots of humble pie.  Turns out it's VDSL after all, so hardly surprising an  ADSL modem isn't working. 

Apologies for wasting your time with an embarrassingly stupid question.

Mark

Message 7 of 7

Re: Third party modem

Go to solution

No worries.

0 Ratings