cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

UPS and FTTP

Go to solution

Hi

I have an issue which I hope someone can help with.

I currently have FTTC broadband with BT.

Today I upgraded to full fibre, partly as I have a requirement to have a stable internet connection with no outages. I currently have a UPS connected to my router and PC's to prevent any unplanned outages from power cuts / trips.

I planned on moving the new hub upstairs and connecting it to the modem (in the hall) via Cat 6 cable. It can then stay connected to my UPS, as my current router currently is.

I didn't realise at the time of upgrade that the modem in the hall will also need power. Therefore if there is a power failure / trip, I imagine that the connection will drop, thus making the UPS connected to the hub useless for this purpose.

So, a couple of questions:

In the event of power failure, does the battery backup on the modem activate quickly enough to prevent any disconnection at all, in the way a UPS does, or does it take a second or two to kick in ?

If I contact BT and they will not now provide a battery back up unit, are they available to buy, and are they specific to a particular make of modem (I believe that BT use more than one manufacturer) ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: UPS and FTTP

Go to solution
BT can supply a bbu for the ont at a cost to yourself
I believe the one they use will only last an hour. If you have a ups set up already you could have it plugged into that .
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

there is no battery back up on your ONT so if power cut then no internet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I appreciate that it is very late but BT will sell you a UPS solution for the ONT:  Cyberpower Back-up for BT Digital Voice service (FTTP)

See also this thread: https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/UPS-solution-for-ONT-and-SH2/m-p/2285458#M8...

Philip
0 Ratings