cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Unable to find HH6 USB storage device on my network

Go to solution

Hi all,

I use software called ROON which is essentially a music server/player which requires the ability to back up regularly in order to keep things running smoothly.
Initially, I created a backup file within the internal storage in my Nvidia Shield and mapped it as a network storage device but I underestimated the size of the back up files and now I'm getting warning messages about low storage in the Shield.

I decided to use a FAT32 formatted 128gb USB stick and plugged it into the rear of my HH6 in order to use that as a back up for ROON but I cannot get my pc to see this storage device.

I have some of the more recent posts regarding this issue on this forum and followed the steps but to no avail.

I don't really know where I'm going wrong to be honest?

SMB1 is already enabled as I had to do this when setting up the original network mapping for the Shield so that's not the issue.

I have typed in //192.168.1.254/usb1 into the "map network drive" section and typed "administrator" the username and added my password (which I changed from the factory supplied password) but it will not connect.

Any suggestions guys??

Mike.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Unable to find HH6 USB storage device on my network

Go to solution

Not sure why a user name and password is being requested, neither are required to map the drive.

Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi liquorice,

Ah, that was my mistake, I assumed the HH6 would require my admin password to access the storage device.

Ok, I have disabled the credentials check and tried to connect to the storage but it is saying "network error" due to incorrect spelling or network error.

I have typed exactly: //192.168.1.254/usb1

Can't seem to connect?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

You need backslashes (\) in Windows.

Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Hi bud,

Oh yeah, I have input as you suggest with backslashes instead but it just will not connect at all.

So: \\192.168.1.254\usb1

No joy I'm afraid

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Try a restart (not power cycle) of Windows. Windows explorer can sometimes be a bit iffy mapping the drive.

Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Try formatting the drive as NTFS if that doesn't work

Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Is your USB drive actually named usb1?, as that's what's required to map

From a Run command box just enter \\192.168.1.254 & enter. That should open a File Explorer window showing the USB drive name. That's the name you need to append to the IP address to map to it. If you double-click on the USB drive to show the contents then click on the File Explorer address bar, it should show the full path to the root of the USB drive. Just copy this string & paste it into Map Network Drive & you should be good to go.

Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Usb1 is the port, not the actual name of the drive

Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

Usb1 is the port, not the actual name of the drive

If it is, it isn't presented as such on the network & as the OP has found, can't be mapped.