cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Unknown Mac

Hi, for the past week I've noticed this in my logs, I've checked it against all my devices and it doesn't meet to match, it seems as though its from Sky. I haven't got any sky products here and wondered if anyone knew what it may be? I did think perhaps it's neighbours streaming/TV or something alike, it always the same two MAC numbers together.

06:53:05, 16 Feb.2.4G client Mac: **:**:**:29:8F:6E Deauthentications (Reason:Class 2 frame received from nonauthenticated station)

17:17:58, 16 Feb.2.4G client Mac: **:**:**:29:8F:6E Deauthentications (Reason:Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS)

17:15:05, 16 Feb.2.4G client Mac: **:**:**:94:8F:6A Deauthentications (Reason:Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS)

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Unknown Mac

Do you have any Apple devices or recent Android devices?

If you do, then make sure that private addressing (MAC randomisation) is disabled for your own wireless network. 

Message 3 of 16

I have a android device thats a few months old, so i could try it. Silly question, would I do that on the actual device? On WiFi settings? 

I've just done it, it gave me a mac code but also listed my device on the logs, and shows the IP address, these MAC numbers I'm unsure of are literally trying every minute for hours without success, only ever the same two and sporadically and showing sky limited 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

On the device

Message 5 of 16

I've just done it, it gave me a mac code but also listed my device on the logs, and shows the IP address, these MAC numbers I'm unsure of are literally trying every minute for hours without success, only ever the same two and sporadically and showing sky limited
Message 6 of 16

Any Apple devices you have from iOS12 and later use randomised MAC as do most (if not all) Android devices from Android 10 onwards so maybe you have other valid devices trying to connect under a 'pseudonym' so to speak

Message 7 of 16

It's definitely not me, it happens when I'm not here, I have minimal devices, TV and a phone and ipad which is taken with me when I leave.

Does the device trying to connect have to be in range or can it be from Different locations? 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

@lol991 

Are you using any powerline devices to connect things up via the mains?

Message 9 of 16

Not that I can see. Can it be something remotely like elsewhere or does it need to be connected/in range of the hub? 

Whatever it is, it never actually connects.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

I would not worry about it, its probably a nearby device sending out probes, but they are not being authenticated.  It may not actually be connected to a working network.