cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 26

Re: Update firmware on Hubs used as repeaters

i have a large 5 bed house, 3 story [ground/1st/2nd], Studio in garden 100m away.

3 routers cover ground floor including access point, basically each end and middle. The middle didn’t reach either end hence why they got put in. Groudn flooe Access Point is in my office.

1 in 2nd floor games room which facilitates bedrooms on 1st floor as well as games room.  1 in Studio 100m away with a armoured cable running down to studio.

House was built in 2021, standard brick construction with some internal walls brick and other partitions.

Since putting this in, I use heavy data for work, some times 2 machines, kids have xBoxes and PSs, computers, iPads, 4 TVs with apps on which get used for streaming, etc, never had a single network issue.

im technically minded but not specifically networks like this, I can configure my own routers but thats as far as it goes. I dont understand if wifi cant reach a corner of the house, how would a mesh network reach it? As the house is fully cabled, why wouldn’t I use the cable? I have lots of wifi networks over the years and all fail miserably on heavy data usage, games machines stall, TVs would stutter on streaming.

Would/Could you add a WiFi  Disc Repeater, I think these are ‘092822’ as these have a network port, instead? I havent used these. Do they auto install onto your network or would I have to configure it?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 26

i have 4 SH2 and 1 HH4. the HH4 sis in the Studio 100ms away [cabled to same network] and gives odd behaviour on my wife’s MacBook Pro, but only hers, and not mine, nor any Apple phones.

Her MBP needs to come back to house network to connect, then walking it back down to the studio the HH4 works.

DHCP is off on the HH4 which i believe is correct as the Office SH2 [access point] is the only router with DCHP on.

Maybe i need to update that HH4 to SH2? Or dependant on other answers her, a Wifi Mesh Repeater Disc?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 26

Long story short, your current setup is a series of standalone access points. Repeaters are much the same but slower, so no surprise they didn't work well. In a mesh system every access point can talk to every other access point within range & so has a better chance of finding a clear path back to the primary router. Although in your case that is taken care of by the ethernet connection. We also need to be mindful that current  fibre board may be foil backed to aid insulation. That will kill WiFi between rooms.

Each SH will be double-NAT'ing, something gamers apparently hate.

A current mesh system could use WiF 6, 6e or even the newest 7, whereas the BT kit is stuck at WiFi 5. I would also expect a dedicated mesh to have far superior WiFi coverage to a SH2. But that would need some trial & error to find out how many access points you could get away with. But this all comes at a cost.

So again, it's not how I would have done it but if it ain't broke...

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 26

@rbz5416  The hubs won't be double natting if connected LAN to LAN as access points.

@andihawes  As far as I'm aware, the HH4 is only a single band (2.4Ghz) device.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 26

@licquorice 

The HH4 is dual  band.

Message 16 of 26

@rbz5416  from the  OP description other than the primary SH2 connected to the Internet the other hubs are being used only as ethernet switches and access points so no double NAT-ing.

If there is significant data transfer between various pieces of kit within the house then having a wired network  would leave more bandwidth on the WiFi network which of course is shared and can be prone to interference from other sources.

I have gone the same way with 2 older routers use to provide WiFi in places that cannot be reached from the Internet connected router - two layers of aluminium foil due to insulation and just distance/walls for the other. All rooms have CAT6 so all desktop PCs, Xbox, RPi/3Dprinter, TV, Firestick, Hue Hub, etc. are on Ethernet. That still leaves many things on WiFi such as Echos, Mobie Phones, WiFi switches, iPads, Kindles,  ASHP etc.

In our case the limit is VDSL but that is a consequence of preferring not to live in a city.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

@andihawes

“I have lots of wifi networks over the years and all fail miserably on heavy data usage, games machines stall, TVs would stutter on streaming”.  Not at all surprising.

If you have a fully wired house, why use Wi-Fi at all?  Wired connections are much better for heavy use.  They are more reliable, more secure and nearly always faster.  (To be fair, they have made tremendous improvements on the speed -side with wireless over the last ten years).

My own house was wired by myself and I rarely use a wireless access point.  I only usually put one on if I need to connect the phone etc. and even then, it’s only a spare SH2.  All the serious hardware is wired.

@rbz5416 I would be surprised if there is any NAT involved in using it just as an access point?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 26

@WSH@licquorice@countrypaul 

I stand corrected on the NAT front! 🙃

Message 19 of 26

for clarity, anything that can have a cable connection does so now.... Games Machines, TVs, my work laptops in the office, etc. Its only mobile devices which get to use WIFI, plus laptops moving around the house.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 26

so  single/dual.... which ever a HH4 is... could that affect my wifes MacBook Pro, 2 years old, once a sleep and wakes, needs to come back to the house network to get a signal. If not it picks up an odd IP address which isnt an IP we use.

Ifi replace this, should i replacw with a SH2? or Wifi Disc? other?

0 Ratings