cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Using an Ethernet Network on a Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Hi, has anyone any experience of running an Ethernet network from the Smart Hub 2 ?

Due to issues with wifi speeds on my Full Fibre 500, which I have discussed in a previous post, I am thinking of distributing the internet around the house on Cat 6 Ethernet. I did this in the 90s in my last house but in those days we didn’t have the speed we have today.

I was wondering what sort of speed drop I would get over a 30m cat6 cable from the SM2 to my router. The starting speed is around 400mbps at the SH2. Has anyone any experience of this sort of length on a SM2, I have been told theoretically it should be OK, what ever that means.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using an Ethernet Network on a Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Cat5e/6 is good for 100m without loss.

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Great, many thanks !
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

The speed doesn’t depend on the speed of your internet connection.

Your internal speed depends on the speed of the network card at the either end and what they negotiate.  A faulty/inadequate cable could reduce the speed by throwing too many errors and causing the network cards to negotiate to use a lower speed to compensate but, beyond that, the cable does not determine the speed.

The ports on the SH2 are max 1Gb/s.  As rbz5416 says, both cat 5e and cat 6 are rated for 1Gb/s at up to 100m.  (That is lab test conditions and requires good quality cable and a perfect install.  Most working techs don’t push beyond 85m).

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Thats useful, I will be 40m tops, Thank You .
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for the information. I have now cabled Ethernet to routers in the rooms which need the speed and I am getting an incredible 512Mbs on all PCs and laptops that are on the Ethernet and unexpectedly I am getting more than 500mbs on my VPN to which ever part of Europe it has connected to !
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I take it that is the broadband connection rather than the speed across your network?

I get 850-950 Mb/s when I backup from the machine downstairs to the machine upstairs.  (About 30m).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, the internal LAN is giving just short of 1Gbs. 40m max run.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Good.

I was going to say the internal ethernet should be able to do a lot better than 500Mb/s.  Of course, if it's coming over the internet then it's only as fast as the slowest link.

Grasp the nettle, the rest of you, and put cables in.  You won't regret it.