cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

VPN restricted to 1 user

Hi All,

I have been trying to figure out a problem I've been having for a few days.

Since a few days ago I am unable to log into my companies VPN server. For context, me and my partner are both working remotely most of the week and often are both doing so at the same time so access to the company VPN is required. Since a couple of days ago I am unable to sign into the VPN no matter how many times I restart the router or reset it to factory settings.

What makes it stranger is that my partner can connect to the VPN no worries (she starts work before me)  but as the second user I cannot connect at all. I have tested this on my device and it works the same way ie. if we both disconnect, reset the router and I connect to the VPN first, she is unable to get onto it until we reset the router / restart her machine and I disconnect from Wifi. It seems like for some reason the router is assigning which one of us can and can't sign into the VPN.

Im not an expert so I wanted to raise this to see if anyone has any ideas or has seen this before.

I'd also like to add that this has not been an issue since we moved in together last Sept. so for 10mnths everything was working fine and all of a sudden this issue arose.

Any suggestions/help is much appreciated.

Thank You!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: VPN restricted to 1 user

The problem lies with your company's VPN, not your broadband provider.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi!

Okay I understand, what is youre reasoning behind this? Before I go to them I would like to have some arguments and specific reasoning behind this assumption.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

BT are just providing a pipe and is agnostic to how that pipe is utilised.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

In my experience, it's not uncommon for a VPN server to have a restriction of only one VPN connection from a given IP address - it's quite possible that this restriction has been added at the company end in the past few days, and that would explain the issue.

If this is the case then your only options are to get the company to change the restriction, or to implement a site-to-site VPN through your router - you would need to get the company IT people to assist with this, and it would definitely involve replacing the BT Hub with something else.

Message 6 of 6

The solution may be to have IPv6 enabled on the BT router and have your client devices explicitly use IPv6 if that's an option (It may not be).  The VPN setup here is complex and I've only just got it back up and working after issues caused by domains.google migrating to SquareSpace.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings