cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Virgin media owns BT infrastructure???

Go to solution

I got a call yesterday from a guy claiming to call from Virgin Media. I asked him why he was calling me as I wasn't a VM customer. He said VM owned all the infrastructure and they had evidence that I was being hacked by 2 "foreign" IP addresses. I was pretty certain this was a scam but nervous about the possibility so asked him to prove he was legit. He said he could give me my consumer security licence number and proceeded to give me a multi-digit code. At this point I hung up thinking I'd check out this code. I cannot find it in anything associated with my BT account. Anyone got a view on this, please?  Thx.  

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Virgin media owns BT infrastructure???

Go to solution

Totally a scam.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Sounds very much like a scam to me and so lazy that they didn’t even bother to work out that Virgin Media and BT have nothing to do with each other. He could have tried to sound more convincing by saying he was calling from Openreach, although they don’t often call end customers.

It’s common for scams tell you they have found something wrong and then try to gain trust by telling you they are calling from a big, well known company. They proceed to give you their employee badge number or some other complicated and random alphanumeric string that you have no way of verifying.

Smacks of typical modern day scam to me.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

thank you liquorice👍

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks Will168 👍