cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

WI FI. Number of Connections

I currently have 14 connections shown connected to my wi fi. 6 of these I don’t recognise and 4 are shown as unknown. There are different IP addresses for them all. Any help appreciated 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: WI FI. Number of Connections

@leeb100 

Do you have any Apple devices connected to your wireless?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I’ve disconnected all connections and cleared everything. The only thing shown now is an unknown connected at 256mps. My I phone is shown as 1mps   Could that be the BT tv box ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

You didn't answer the question directly, but it would appear you have an iPhone. Turn off MAC address randomisation on it.

Message 5 of 9

Sorry. I’m quite new to this. So I disconnected everything and then named everything. It looks like my iPhone the next time it connected to wi fi became an unknown device. If that’s the case with iPhones is it worth naming them - there are 4 in our household. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Apple in their infinite wisdom seem to think it's a great wheeze to improve 'security' by getting their devices to pretend they are a different device every time they connect to WiFi. This is MAC address randomisation. Either turn it off on your iPhones or just ignore the hub connection list which in itself is mostly a waste of time in any case.

Message 7 of 9

Renaming them will not help, as the name is tied to the MAC address, and when that changes, the name will disappear.

Its a much worse problem for anyone with a wireless mesh system, as it prevents roaming between nodes, as the Apple devices see each node as a separate wireless network, and changes its wireless MAC address, making it impossible for smooth handover.

Also, as each change of MAC address uses a new IP address, its possible that the DHCP table in the home hub to fill up, and have no connections left.

Message 8 of 9

Thank you for your very quick informative advice. So if BT were to check from their side what is currently connected what would they see?  Just unknowns like what I see. I’m sure my wi fi is being used. Just trying to check it out. Appreciate your time. Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Why would BT be interested in what was connected?

Your WiFi isn't being used. Change the WiFi password if you are that bothered.

0 Ratings