cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

What is this called please.

I am trying to identified what this is called, Fibre into room,into hub 2, it appears i need a new battery which i believe allows the system to work when i have a electric cut. Any links ? Thanks.

BT fibre hub.JPG

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: What is this called please.

Just open the lid and you will see a BBU (battery backup unit) with 4 AA batteries - change them for new rechargeable AA batteries.

Message 3 of 6

It’s called an ONT. Or more specifically what you are looking at is an old ONT case with the ONT and separate battery pack inside 

Open the bottom flap, remove the screw holding the top flap shut and the battery pack is the unit on the right.

As the other poster said, you can take it out and replace the batteries in it.

PS it won’t power your router during a power cut. It was only ever intended to allow usage of a now obsolete phone service which ran over the fibre, so it’s probably a waste of time changing them.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The BBU was to enable FVA ( fibre voice access ) a short lived ( and now defunct) Openreach phone service to work during a power outage (  if you had a corded phone  ) so although changing the battery’s can be done , it’s of no practical use , in a power cut the router won’t be powered, even if the ONT is powered by the BBU , so Digital Voice won’t be available, most consumers with this issue are advised to simply bypass the battery’s and plug the PSU directly into the ONT rather than the BBU .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

That’s interesting - ONTs have certainly reduced in size nowadays!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

The OP’s image shows the ‘box’ that contains the ONT and BBU , it’s not just an ONT , but it’s true that later ONT’s are smaller than this generation of ONT .

iniltous_0-1709770043860.jpeg

Here a picture of the cover opened, showing the ONT and BBU , this generation of ONT has a phone port for FVA , later ones have no FVA , so no phone port 

0 Ratings