cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

What is this UHF connector on the dongle

Hi,

Can anyone identify this small UHF connector on this WIFI dongle i use on the laptop. I need to extend the antenna that screws off the dongle. The manufacturer website doesnt help. Thanksuhf.jpg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: What is this UHF connector on the dongle

I think its a F type connector

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

thanks for the reply. Its not an F connector. I should have provided dimensions. its a lot smaller than F type.

I think its now an RP-SMA connector

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The standard connector used for WiFi aerial is indeed SMA. But I'd probably be more inclined to use a USB extension cable to move the whole dongle away. You can get them with a little stand to hold the dongle upright.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for that, I started to think along those lines, now Ive woken up more. It makes more sense to extend the resulting " data" with a long , quality USB cable, rather than the " RF " with all the losses that entails.

My project is to capture long distance WI-FI , in a d.i.y. basis , for when we go away to places in the UK and be able to pick up BT hotspots to log into

... And to replace the stub antenna with another form of directional antenna , again DIY . - Just a project / experiment
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

It is indeed an SMA connector, have you considered buying a high gain antenna (e.g. 10dBi gain) to replace the standard on

0 Ratings